+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having problem ditching the bottle and changing to cow's milk

My daughter is 14 months now. I heard that by one year old they should ditch the bottle and have cow's milk instead of formula. so i had the first try the other night. I gave her cow's milk in a cup after dinner , she didn't drink much (probably just 30ml), then followed by bath time, story and putting to bed. But then she kept on waking up in the night so i had to gave her a bottle ! Today, the same thing happend, I have to giver her the before bed bottle to avoid her waking up in the middle of the night.

obviously she doesn't like cow's milk or drinking from a cup, how can I get her used to them, advice anyone? Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought 18 months was the recommended age to have ditched the bottle by? In any event DS had a bottle up until he was just about to turn two - cow's milk, I never used a follow on formula as they tend to be quite high in sugar (?).

if I were you, I'd just make one change at a time. Give her cow's milk in a bottle then gradually change to a cup once she's enjoying the milk. DS is now 3 and has a cup of milk still in the morning and evening (he doesn't like any other dairy food so just try to get calcium into him through milk!). We use the Sistema cups with the lid and straw $2.50 from Kmart).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jamessmum For This Useful Post:

Shellybaby  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or you could try other alternatives. My 16 month old never really liked cow's milk. But he loves rice milk & oat milk :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pen14 For This Useful Post:

Shellybaby  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 17 month old drinks cows milk and toddler formula. I'm not rushing when it comes to taking away his bottle as he drinks from cups and sippy cups just fine and his bottle is the one steady thing he'll consume come sickness or fussiness with food in the morning and before bed, so I at least know he's getting goodness from something twice a day. If your bubs not ready and your not in a rush to take it away then I wouldn't. I wouldn't let a book, CHN or another mother try and rush me or my baby as all our bubs move at there own pace.

Asha 26, William 13 months

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AshaTooley For This Useful Post:

jamessmum  (27-02-2014),ozeymumof5  (28-02-2014),Shellybaby  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The bottle is recommended to be gone by 12 ish months as it's not meant to be good for their teeth , formula on the other hand is only recommended to be stopped when you feel they are getting all their nutrition from solid food and as pp have mentioned all babies are different and 12 months is only a guideline
    for my DS I swapped to those sports bottles ( with the straw ) at 14 months and gradually watered down his formula until by about 16 months it was just water , I've never given cows milk as a drink as I don't think they need it, there are plenty of calcium rich foods if that's what you are worried about ( tofu, sesame seeds, chia seeds, green veggies, seafood, yogurt, cheese etc )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds had a bedtime bottle until he was 2, just for comfort before bed. He never wanted to drink much from a cup at night. It was cows milk as he took to it well, but tbh if you want to keep giving your bub a bottle of formula at night go for it. It's only one bottle and not going to do any harm. She'll get rid of it when she's ready. Or you could give cows milk from a cup more during the day to get her used to it and then keep trying at night. It'll happen sooner or later :-)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (28-02-2014),Shellybaby  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my toddlers have have a bottle of warm milk before bed. The sucking action is what they like. I'd rather give them a bedtime bottle over a restless-sleepless night . Five kids and no teeth problems from it

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Shellybaby  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Three of my toddlers gave it up themselves by age 2. My other two needed a bit more convincing and gave it up by age 3. I just kept telling them it's for babies and they are getting big now etc etc. It wasn't hard because they were ready

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (03-03-2014),Shellybaby  (01-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DD2 i did bottles till 2yrs (oat milk from 12mths as dairy triggers her eczema)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Shellybaby  (01-03-2014)