+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 year gap between children... Advice?

My DH and I have finally agreed to try for another baby. I suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum my entire pregnancy with DD, so DH was not keen for me to have a baby again. As DD is now older and we live overseas where we can easily get a nanny to help we have agreed to try our remaining embryos (although it's not a given we will fall pregnant ).

My only concern is the large age gap and if they will bond closely as they grow up. Any experiences would be appreciated on larger gaps between children.

thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    No experience as yet but wanted to reply & let you know there will be a 5+ age gap between our dd and next bub.

Our dd has ASD, possible odd and add and we both work fulltime (I run my own business) and as bad as it sounds to say, our life (right now) would fall apart if we had another ASD child.

We are waiting till dd starts kindly to have number two, so they will actually be 6 years apart and I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's a beautiful age gap.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy Potato For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is 5 years between dd2 & dd3 it's great dd2 loves helping and playing with dd3 I think they will be close as they already have a good bond

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 5.5 year gap between my DS and DD2. It's lovely, he is very paternal towards her. He's old enough to get that she's just a baby- she doesn't understand when she pulls his hair or throws his Lego creations on the ground.

My DD1 is 3.5years older than DD2 and my oldest daughter is a bit jealous and throws tantrums when the baby does something DD1 doesn't like.

So I think an older gap is perfect

7. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds1 and ds2 have 5.5 years between them and so far it's been good - ds1 is 6 and has been really great with the bub

another story, my brother and I are 6 years apart and it was hard growing up. I think because we are boy and girl so didn't have common interests but we are closer now that we're older x

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have such a strong bond with my younger brother who is 6 yrs younger than me. We click so well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, my sisters boys are exactly 5 yrs apart and are very close. The older one is very protective and watches out for him at school.
    I have a brother 8 yrs younger than me and we are extremly close...always have been ; I used to change him, bather him, look after him as a baby, and very protective of him. My other brother is 3 yrs younger and pretty much all we did was fight!
    so I think abit of age gap can work well

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OS&N For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (28-02-2014),Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 6 1/2 year gap between my 2 and it is lovely.

Ds is very protective over her and they play really well. DD is now 3 and they are so close...none of that sibling rivalry that happens with little ones that are close in age!

My kids read together, play together and it is just lovely.

a 5 year gap would be great imo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest 2 are 5 years apart and they get on so well, it amazes me sometimes how well they keep each other company. DD3 has started prep this year and as we go into the school each day the give each other a cuddle and kiss goodbye - DD2 is in grade 5 and her classroom is on the opposite side of the school. At the end of the day DD2 comes to the prep classroom and DD3 always throws herself at her sister and they give each other a big squeeze (very cute!).

There are times when DD2 complains that DD3 has touched her stuff or done something annoying, and when she has her friends over I try and keep DD3 busy and out of the way so the bigger girls can have some space. Other times when DD3 complains that DD2 is bossy and telling her what to do. but mostly they get on really well, the age gap works just fine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother and I are 5 years apart. No issues here. He's always been super protective and nurturing and I think that's a result of the gap. Wiser and helpful.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shrillian For This Useful Post:

Spoodge  (27-02-2014)