+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did this and it didn't go down well but I wouldn't change a thing and plan on doing the same with #2.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy Potato For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    Yep I did this with all five births. It was great not to have anyone walking in and hanging around especially while I'm trying to bond and get breastfeeding going. I couldn't think of anything worse than my fil and mil being there while I'm feeding!
    Once I got into a routine and knew when I'd not be feeding, that's when I invited them over and if I needed to feed I'd go into my room and close the door. No privacy like that a hospital lol
    Speaking of bf, when my brother came in, I wasn't feeding dd but in the middle of re-watching the bf video...my bro took 1 look at the tv and went white as a sheet. I think that is the most flesh he's ever seen of a woman (hes gay so forgivable )

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (28-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was born 8am in the morning. I had immediate family straight away as they were waiting out the door. Coming from a large European family this would be very hard but in saying that I was so excited I wanted everyone to see her!
    Just remember its your baby your choice you do what's best for your little family.
    That night we had visitors and they continued on for the 4 nights. It didn't bother me and I actually told my mum and mil to let everyone know that I'd rather them come while I was in hospital. I saw it as a more relaxed environment and when that bell went off everyone had to leave. It was great as when you get visits at home unfortunatly there's no bell!! And some ppl can overstay their stay... And the other thing I liked about hospital visits was when the time for visits came around I made sure dd was fed and settled so nobody touched her whereas at home she would have been more passed around which I totally disagree with being so little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no visitors for the first day (I had a csec so was stuck in bed, cathered, not dressed etc). I had planned a trickle of family day 2 but the IL'S all turned up at the same time! Too many people in a room when I felt unwell. We then had friends that wanted to come everyday!!!

Next time I will be saying no one day 1, DD and maybe parents day 2, family day 3 and best friends day 4. Then no one bar parents for a week when we go home! I personally found the amount of visitors way too much in a small hospital room. I prefered spacing them out at home

Def take control as this is your experience!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made it clear to everyone that they wouldn't be allowed in until we invited them, and I'm so glad we did! DP's family traditionally pack out the waiting room when the poor mum is in labour.. not my idea of pleasant. I ended up having an emergency ceaser and my son was taken to NICU. I didn't get to meet him until he was 9 hours old and would have been incredibly peed off if anyone (other than DP, obviously) met my son before I did. Bubba 2 is due in a few months, the only person who will be visiting on the first day is my son. IMO the first few hours/day is about your own little family getting to know each other, others just have to wait With DS we were in hospital for 6 days, we had both of our immediate families and my two besties visit during that time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We originally said noone in when in labour and not day of birth. DH must have been speaking with his mum and now is trying to get the ok for them to wait at hospital and come in after birth. Really annoyed , keep saying my thoughts as my parents and immediate family understand. I dont think MIL understands as she had 3 straight forward cs early in the morning never went into labour or was tired after. My mum had 3 vd and i was a 36 hr labour her shortest was 20hrs. Have 6 wks to reinforce that noone is coming to visit till next day as will understandably be buggered so happy for family next day and friends maybe day 2 if they really want to come in.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by wobblermummy; 27-02-2014 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd never really thought about this. We didn't invite family to visit at the hospital after DD was born and I guess they didn't assume they could or should visit. Most of our family live quite far away, though, so they'd already told us the dates they would visit us at home.

Mum will be staying with us when DS is born in May. She'll be looking after DD while I'm in labour. So it makes sense for her to visit while I'm in hospital this time.

I'm not really fussed whether people visit in hospital or at home. I'll be exhausted, wearing no make-up and dressed in a maternity sack either way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishnhope View Post
    Just had a few thoughts running through my head re baby births and expected visits. A friend of mine is due in a few weeks and has stated noone to visit while she is in Hospital after the birth of her little boy including immediate family.

I LOVE this idea, but dont see it going down well with my inlaws (my parents live interstate) I think Id like to have a total ban for at least the first day and then allow immediate family to slowly trickle in. Friends can visit once we are home.

Has anyone done this and how well was it taken by your family?
    I had a kind of ban for the first day. I told everyone that they couldn't visit until DS1 had come. He wasn't able to until afternoon which meant no one else came until late afternoon/the next day. I had been there since the morning alone so got quite bored waiting. No one had a problem with it at all.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also want my parents to have the opportunity to be able to take photos into my nan who wont be able to come into hospital before friends see bub and photos go on the internet.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were lucky that our son arrived four days before our planned c-section, so none of our family were there (all live interstate).

I really, really didn't want anyone there, but my mother is a very, very pushy determined person (to put it nicely!) and I was having a very stressful time during my pregnancy because I really didn't want her there, but she insisted. As luck would have it, I got my way and we didn't have any visitors at the hospital for two absolutely blissful days!

Unfortunately, once we returned home I had my in-laws sleeping on the sofa (for one night only, thankfully, they are very nice considerate people) and my mother in the spare room. She stayed on for a week and she should consider herself very lucky that my hubby and I didn't murder her. But the less said about that the better.

Having our son with just myself and hubby there was such and incredible, intimate, special time for us and I wouldn't trade those two days of privacy for anything in the world.

I am a very, very private person and we didn't take any video or photos of the birth or just after (apparently this is strange, or at least the hospital staff made it seem so). We have just a few photos that my hubby took of our son when he was about 12 hours old and we haven't shown them to anyone else because they are too special to me for sharing.