+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default No Visitors at Hospital - EVEN Family

Just had a few thoughts running through my head re baby births and expected visits. A friend of mine is due in a few weeks and has stated noone to visit while she is in Hospital after the birth of her little boy including immediate family.

I LOVE this idea, but dont see it going down well with my inlaws (my parents live interstate) I think Id like to have a total ban for at least the first day and then allow immediate family to slowly trickle in. Friends can visit once we are home.

Has anyone done this and how well was it taken by your family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had done this as I had quite a lot of visitors over the 4 days I was in hospital recovering from my CS. I would have liked the first day & night to be just about me, DS & his dad. My parents even held DS before I got to even though I strictly told them to wait until I had a hold. So I'll be doing this for my next bubs. Stuff what a anyone else thinks, it's your birth and your (and your partners) bubs, not theirs. Let them know they can come visit when you give the ok to

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's totally your decision. If that's what you want people "should" respect that. I suggested that to DH but he's big on family so it's not gonna happen but I'm not overly worried myself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MeeG For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently gave birth to a beautiful little boy (4 weeks old) and had the no visitors at the hospital rule. We did end up having my mother and MIL visit briefly and separately the day after he was born and only because my mother was so anxious about me (poor thing) and I didn't think it fair my mother met DS and not DHs mother that day. That said both were not expecting the invitation so there was zero pressure from them on us. We have also staggered visitors and even now DS hasn't met everyone. This was the best decision and I would change absolutely nothing. Do what is comfortable for you and don't worry about anyone else. We have bonded as a family and have enjoyed every day without the stress of visitors. My mother has even said that she got so much more from the visit with DS out of the hospital in a relaxed environment then she did in the hospital as I was tired and trying to get myself and DS sorted for early discharge.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DD in the morning at 8.45am and didn't even send the text out about the birth til the following day. I only had 2 people visit the first day about 9 hrs after DD was born, in the evening, so I had the whole day to start coming to terms with my new bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Ds2 at 9.52pm so no visitors until my mil bought Ds1 to meet his brother in the morning. That was it. No one else came to visit.

Ds1 I got visitors from an hour later as mil was my support and told everyone before i got a chance to say no.

Do what you feel is best and tell your midwife if your don't want visitors. They will keep them away if unwanted.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I did that too, I had so many people come in the day DD was born and its exausting. I would let everyone know in advance though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We said no to visitors, mainly because we were at a birth centre and expected early discharge. It did end up that we stayed overnight (due to an influx of labouring mums so our discharge kept getting delayed. Was happy with it in the end) so I asked my little bro if he wanted to pop in the next morning. He was working only a couple minutes walk from the bc which was why I asked him

Everyone was respectful and was even happy to wait the few weeks before we had an 'open house' to meet her

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no visitors in hospital and I'm glad I made sure everyone knew about it beforehand. I had massive bleeding afterwards and I wasn't even allowed to get up and have a shower until the second day, plus I had a catheter and a bag of my pee hanging on the side of my bed. I would have hated to have anyone see my like that even my family.

It didn't go down well with some people but tough luck for them, it's not up to them to dictate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I did this with all five births. It was great not to have anyone walking in and hanging around especially while I'm trying to bond and get breastfeeding going. I couldn't think of anything worse than my fil and mil being there while I'm feeding!
    Once I got into a routine and knew when I'd not be feeding, that's when I invited them over and if I needed to feed I'd go into my room and close the door. No privacy like that a hospital lol
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 27-02-2014 at 18:01.