+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Breastfeeding around family and friends...

I'm really hoping to breastfeed our new little bundle. However I've recently been thinking about how I'll go in front of our relatives... no-one in our family or extended relatives have breastfed and I know they will feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable if I were to openly feed in front of them... I want them to gradually warm up to the idea but wondering whether in the beginning I should chat to them or tell them to look away if they're uncomfortable or wear a muslin wrap/cover while breastfeeding to begin with...

Were you cautious in the beginning around people who have "old fashioned opinions" on breastfeeding... They are firm believers a mother should remove herself to a private location to feed a baby...

Once I am confident and as bub grows I of course will be discreet, but do not wish to hide in another room...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would try and avoid going to their house. At least in your place if they have a problem you can just tell them to leave. If you can coordinate it then using a cover is a good idea but most breast feeding clothes offer really good coverage. If it is your partners family maybe you could get him to speak to them and tell them that baby eats when baby is hungry and if they gave a problem then just look away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I was never shy about feeding. But then our family is all very accepting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the start I went to another room, not because I was embarrassed but because I took quite a while to get comfortable feeding. I also had an oversupply issue and was quite literally spraying, so the whole thing was messy for me. However once I had the hang of things I fed wherever with a nursing cover on. I didn't warn anyone, I just did it and they all got used to it. The first time we were all watching tellie and I didn't want to miss the show. Hehe. I don't think anyone even noticed until hte ad break. I reckon just go for it once you have the hang on things and see how they take it. Maybe when people are distracted
    Last edited by Rueblade; 27-02-2014 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes i have people like that in my life i feed anyhow. Bub is hungry and that's it. They get fed. If they say anything I tell them they can move.

I won't use a cloth. It too dam hot here and i am not doing anything wrong.

In all my 20 years of off and on feeding it has been very rare that anyone has said anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your very thoughtful thinking of their feelings . Slow and steady and help them get used to it . For some people it is uncomfortable and there is nothing wrong with that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this problem too Mum was totally fine, but other relatives were very conservative.

I found that with most of my relatives, all I had to do was loudly announce that the baby needed a feed and they'd quickly find an excuse to leave the room (read a book to my other kids, go for a walk etc)

But there were times when that didn't work, and I ended up going to a separate room to breastfeed. I guess I could (and probably should) have stayed out in the lounge room, but it ended up just being easier. My babies always mucked around a lot when they fed too, and didn't like having anything (like a muslin wrap) over their head, so I found it hard to be discreet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd word them up about it now. Let them know what you plan on doing, and tell them that if they are uncomfortable with it, then they will have to find something else to do while you feed. You shouldn't have to hide away to feed, that's simply unfair on you and your bub. In terms of being comfortable with it yourself, you will get there. Once attachment is sorted, and bubs is feeding well it will be a walk in the park for you!

In the beginning of our breastfeeding journey with DS1, i would go to another room at family things, but only because i wasn't comfortable, nor had i figured out how to be discreet. Once i got it all down, i fed him any where any time. I was all prepared to have to explain myself around some members of DFs family, but no one said anything, i was pleasantly surprised. With each subsequent child we've had, it's been easier every time.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too took myself to another room in the early days because I was still learning & always took my bra & top completely off (until about 4 weeks). Also wanted to air my nipples as much as possible. A book & my smart phone kept me amused & DH checked on me regularly. Women were always welcome to come in but I personally wasn't comfortable with Dad, FIL, Brother etc.

I feed infront of family now but I don't just whip everything out, I will sit somewhere that I can still be involved but where it isn't awkward with the men. I also have a feeding blanket with a wire top which I use when out (for me, not other ppl).

Let them know your plans but play it by ear once bub is here. It will depend on how your feeling about it first & foremost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just go to a quiet corner and tell everyone I was about to feed her or go to another room. I tried using something to cover up but in the early days it was just too hard as we were both still learning. But my family are supportive of me bfing her, even now at 12 months. There were times when I would take a bottle of expressed milk to places incase I didnt feel comfortable to breastfeed. Now we're both pros at it so just discretely pop a nipple in her mouth

If I were you I wouldnt have a formal discussion about the fact that you plan to bf but I would make it known that you will be so they are aware and there is no awkwardess when you do.

End of the day its your choice how you choose to feed your baby, and if you feel breastmilk is giving your child the best start to life then they will just have to deal with it...its a natural and beautiful thing and you shouldnt be made to feel uncomfortable just because they are.

Good luck with your breastfeeding journey