+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am actually stunned and pretty saddened at how many people here think they have a right to restrict women over 40 from IVF cycles.

How many people here have actually looked at any recent research into fertility?

What gives you the right to say it should be restricted? How does it affect you??

http://news.com.au/lifestyle/parenti...-1226729532792

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (31-07-2014),delirium  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    What about the man? Should they also ban ivf to men over the age of 40? A lot of ivf is make factor and requires donor sperm.

These days, it's common place for women to have babies into their 40s. A lot of women in theirs 40s can be fit and healthier than a much younger woman. I do think there should be a line somewhere but 40 is way too young.
    Very good point and one that is always ignored when I bring it up

Do people even know what the stats are? Do people realise sperm quality also deteriorates with age? Do people relies much of the research is VERY outdated (and I mean decades and even centuries old, where women mostly had older partners!)

Also, there's some studies that show 'older' women with younger male partners are much more likely to fall pregnant than with older male partners. Yet no one ever talks about males declining sperm quality!

I disagree with your last sentence though - I don't believe at all that people should ever be restricted. Their body thier choice, 100%

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

claramacb  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, sperm donors are required to be under the age of 40, due to risk factors associated with sperm quality in men >40. But do we propose banning men over 40 from IVF? God no.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    A friend of mine had her first baby at 41 and her third (and last) baby at 45, all IVF bubbas. She's 47 now and a kick-@rse Mum! She is scary fit too. In pump class she does heavier weights than the instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hers&Hers View Post
    I would like to hear what the 'adult children' of older moms are saying
    My Mum was 39 when she had me. Whilst I felt she was a little more 'out of touch' with young people than some of the mothers of friends I suspect that was more from her background than her age. She more than made up for it with maturity and that air of self confidence that only comes with age. The only draw back has been that because I had children 'late' she was 75 before she became a grandmother. My Dad is a bit younger but they are both elderly and although they dote on the kids (their only grandchildren) I am not comfortable with them babysitting for any longer than an hour or two inside.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjules View Post
    For those of you who've said they disagree with this - is it because 40 is too young, or you don't think there should be an age limit imposed at all??
    For me, 40 is waaay to young. But I think there has to be some point where theres a line in the sand IYKWIM. Not a "Happy 40th!...oh, and no more IVF for you" sort of thing, but a general easing off on the number of cycles after 50 maybe.
    I think the average age of menopause is early 50's, as it's most common in women in the 45-55 age group. Of course it can be much earlier or much later, but by 55 most of us would have gone through it. So I would think anything before 50 is too young.

It kinda sucks though to have an age limit placed on women, and to have your ability to parent due to your age under question, but men can still father a child on their deathbed....it probably doesn't happen often lol but I'm sure most men whould go that way if they could

Is there an age limit at all for men in regards to providing sperm for IVF?
    So for example you had two couples needing IVF, one couple is a 50 yr old woman and 30 yr old man, the other couple is a 30 yr old woman and 50 yr old man.
    Would they be treated differently? I'm assuming they would? I can understand that it is the woman who goes through the procedures, often multiple times, and is of course the one to carry and birth the child.
    But what if the 50 yr old woman was exceptionally healthy, had no history of certain medical conditions in the family such as heart disease, cancer etc, and could potentially live to a ripe old age and easily be around for her grandchildren?
    And the 30 yr old woman was not particularly healthy, had medical issues that made raising a child much harder, and had family history of conditions such as above, as well as lifestyle choices that hasten these conditions so that she is more likely to have a shorter life expectancy.
    Would the couple with the older woman and younger man still be the ones more likely to have restrictions on them in regards to help having a child? Would the other couple? Theres no way most of us would say the 30 yr old shouldn't receive IVF based on her future health or life expectancy. She easily has as much rights as anyone else in choosing to become a parent.
    So does the 50 yr old woman.

I just think that if restrictions are ever put in place, they shouldn't be soley based on age. It should be based on the individual circumstances for each couple, of course including same sex parents, but not a blanket rule for all. How fair would it be to have been TTC for 20 yrs and turning 40 or 50, and being told thats it?

ETA Oops, Fleetwood answered the age/sperm thing while I was typing
    Last edited by mamaof4; 15-03-2014 at 19:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supersic View Post
    I think Ivf funding should be restricted but not by a preselected age. Instead I think that there should be a funding cap out on each couple, like X amount of $$ or a certain number of cycles.

I have personally struggle with infertility for many years and always needed help, so I've been there done that because I don't ovulate on my own. My opinions don't come from inexperience with the struggle of the infertile.

My own father has two children younger than my own which were naturally conceived at the age of 55. I look at the way he interacts with my brother and sister and see the struggles of older parents with younger children. The thing that bothers me the most is knowing that he might not see them graduate uni or even high school. He will be 75 when my brother turns twenty.

I think we need to be realistic about the use of government funds, once people have a child whether natural or assisted, it increases the amount the government has to provide not just in the way of pensions ect but also resources used by an increasing population like schools hospitals, and with an already struggling medical system ect the fund could be used else where.
    My opinions on the use of government funds don't stop here I also have very strong views on the government funding of private schools, especially ones who's yearly fees exceed the minimum wage, with such wealthy clientele why do they need government funding?????

No offence is meant by this post just my thoughts
    I disagree with you. I don't believe there should be a cap on the number of cycles that are funded by Medicare when a couple are undergoing fertility treatment for medical reasons. How is that fair? And to link it to children adding to government costs due to schooling, hospitals etc - this makes no sense unless you're also proposing that naturally fertile couples should only be allowed to TTC for X number of months before stopping.

Everyone's case is different. For us, it took 3 cycles of IVF/PICSI and we only got a frozen embryo on the last cycle. Some people get heaps of frosties because their issues are different. Do they deserve more chances than me because FETs are cheaper?

As I said before, I think 40 is too young for a cut-off, but there should be guidelines around its use when the woman is around menopausal age or, if the science supports the suggestion that paternal age has an impact on problems with the pregnancy or child, the man is around a similar age. I'm not saying they can't do it, perhaps further screening/tests should be done to make sure the risks are not so substantial as to make IVF dangerous for the mother and/or baby.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

mamaof4  (15-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately many people feel the right to judge women over 40 who are trying to have a baby. I'm going through ivf. When I told one of my close friends, his response was "if won't work, you're too old." Another friend is quite scathing of a woman we know who had her first at 40 and is trying for another at 42. It's got to the stage that I just don't tell anyone what I'm going through, which is kinda sad. It's my body and my money. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a lot of people would have a different position if public funding weren't tied to it. When public funds are used for anything (Medicare, schools, roads, whatever) people can get quite mean because they think of it as "their" money being used for something that doesn't benefit them. Which is selfish and not the way things should work.

Tbh, I would rather a dollar limit than an age limit be used and I know that that would upset some people anyway. But I'd rather more money go into ART than buying stupid fighter planes, too, and I doubt that'll happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner and I got pregnant with our first child after we both turned 40. He is the most wonderful, perfect little boy and the world is a better place with him in it. Let babies be born to all parents, regardless of age, who really want them and will love and care for them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Webified For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (29-08-2015)