+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes she went to Greece to do it with donor eggs. I am tone regarding her story. On one hand she is a lovely lady and deserving to be a mum. On the other hand I don't know if being a 60 year old mother of a 10 year old is fair to the child. And I would have been disenchanted if Government funds were used to fund the treatment.
    Yet the govt would fund a 50 yo mother for PPL if she fell naturally (and it's rare but can happen. My GM fell at 48 in the 1960's naturally). We would fund the 50 yo for single parent pension if she fit the criteria. She would be applicable for all sorts of financial assistance along the way. But is that ok bc she could fall naturally?

For me personally? I would stop long before 49. I'm 35 and we are nearing the end of trying for our 3rd. But I say that bc I have 2 kids. If I didn't? I'm not sure what I would do. What I do know is I would try for as long as I possibly could thru IVF rather than look at adoption or surrogacy. They just wouldn't be my hope unless I had nothing left.

No offence meant to anyone, but those who say it shouldn't be funded or who are liking posts saying that, have had little/no problems conceiving. That's a privileged place to be. Not everyone falls easily.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-03-2014),ScubaGal  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    40 is too young a cut off. If we were talking 50 then yeah it could be supported since 50 is the natural menopausal age. Most women these days don't try for babies until after 30/35 and then they only have a couple years at trying at IVF?

Mummy of DS born July 2012

Expecting #2 June 2014

Excuse the iPhone auto-fail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    "On the other hand I don't know if being a 60 year old mother of a 10 year old is fair to the child."

There are plenty of 60yr old fathers to 10 yr olds out there, some very famous ones too and older. I wonder if their parenting would come into doubt because of their age. Would a man be denied ART because he is over 40? or 50?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (01-08-2014),ScubaGal  (29-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post

There are plenty of 60yr old fathers to 10 yr olds out there, some very famous ones too and older. I wonder if their parenting would come into doubt because of their age. Would a man be denied ART because he is over 40? or 50?

well said. No they wouldn't be denied.

I don't think Ivf should be restricted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many women are having children in their 40's nowadays for a variety of reasons and whether it is planned or because they have had fertility problems it is the individual's choice. 40 isn't old and doesn't make them less of a mother.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (15-03-2014),Tinkers  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about the man? Should they also ban ivf to men over the age of 40? A lot of ivf is make factor and requires donor sperm.

These days, it's common place for women to have babies into their 40s. A lot of women in theirs 40s can be fit and healthier than a much younger woman. I do think there should be a line somewhere but 40 is way too young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Where do people think the line should be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Where do people think the line should be?
    50 maybe?
    I don't know really, part of me feels that most women at that age would likely choose not to have a child if they could still do so, but another part feels that we can't really allow others to decide on whether or not we should get a choice in the first place IYKWIM?

I'm completely comfortable with women accessing IVF right throughout their 40's, as there could be millions of reasons behind why they have not already had a child. They may have not felt ready, have not met someone they would like to have children with, and of course there are fertility reasons.
    Some women may be aware outright they will need IVF, or find out there are issues conceiving naturally while still young. But there are thousands of women who have not been aware they would have problems conceiving until their lates 30's-early 40's.
    Just from the tiny bit of info I know about IVF and other methods of assisted conception, surely the cost alone would prohibit many women accessing these services until their 40's? The costs seem massive, and it's not like we suddenly say in our early 20's "Oh lets start saving now, in case we need IVF"?

To be in your 40's and want a child (usually still some years from menopause)and you hadn't had, or tried to have a child previously you would still feel that you have an option to do so. But if you discover that this cannot happen naturally, it would be devastating to be refused IVF when many women the same age get a choice, as they CAN can conceive naturally.

At 50, or early 50's, conceiving naturally would be much, much lower. So someone in their 50's would be aware of that, and would know to some extent that had they not had issues conceiving, they most likely would not have had that option anyway. Does that make sense?
    But even then I feel uncomfortable about placing limits on a womans options.
    For those who try for years and years, and go through so much pain in their journey, it just seems cruel to take away that last bit of hope due to a number

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (31-07-2014),VicPark  (12-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those of you who've said they disagree with this - is it because 40 is too young, or you don't think there should be an age limit imposed at all??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Ivf funding should be restricted but not by a preselected age. Instead I think that there should be a funding cap out on each couple, like X amount of $$ or a certain number of cycles.

I have personally struggle with infertility for many years and always needed help, so I've been there done that because I don't ovulate on my own. My opinions don't come from inexperience with the struggle of the infertile.

My own father has two children younger than my own which were naturally conceived at the age of 55. I look at the way he interacts with my brother and sister and see the struggles of older parents with younger children. The thing that bothers me the most is knowing that he might not see them graduate uni or even high school. He will be 75 when my brother turns twenty.

I think we need to be realistic about the use of government funds, once people have a child whether natural or assisted, it increases the amount the government has to provide not just in the way of pensions ect but also resources used by an increasing population like schools hospitals, and with an already struggling medical system ect the fund could be used else where.
    My opinions on the use of government funds don't stop here I also have very strong views on the government funding of private schools, especially ones who's yearly fees exceed the minimum wage, with such wealthy clientele why do they need government funding?????

No offence is meant by this post just my thoughts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to supersic For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (31-07-2014)