+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Completely agree. Furthermore, give more funding full stop and take it back to where it was several years ago where the gap was smaller. Children should not be a right of the rich! I know it's a lot of money but the people that fall from IVF are raising future tax payers.
    Exactly!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DP was 42 1/2 when we had our last. It weems now as she approaches 45 conception is still very viable for her naturally. She has had the needle as she does not want anymore (I dont mind if she does but it is her body)

    I think there are lots of issues an a blanket ruling does not seem fair


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

    ScubaGal  (29-08-2015)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked
    56
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Could you imagine if they suggested banning IVF for under 25's bc they aren't 'mature' enough? or under 20's bc studies show there is also increased risk of issues as well?
    ^THIS

    VERY good point! I see it almost like compromising someone's basic human right, if you have the means to do it and doctor's don't recommend against it. I'm not sure why any legislation needs to be put in place at all around it.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhjules For This Useful Post:

    ScubaGal  (29-08-2015)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not sure about the cut off of 40. It's a bit harsh.

    However the thought of a 50 year old woman having a baby via IVF gives me a bad case of the heeby jeebies. At the least I don't think there should be any government assistance for IVF for a 50+ year old.
    Mary Coustis have birth to her "first" baby last year via ivf at age 49.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    bhjules  (11-03-2014)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about men over the age of 40?? There's plenty of evidence showing sperm also deteriorates over the age of 35-40.

    I think it's so wrong. If a woman can and does get pregnant, then clearly she is fertile! If she can't get pregnant, then why the need to ban it?

    My mind boggles at the 'attitudes' in our society regarding fertility - and it always cones down to the woman of course. People who do IVF really want a child, that's surely a good start to being a decent parent!

    There is no logic to such a notion, it's just another example of people wanting to control women's fertility! Grrrr

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    Pusheen The Cat  (11-03-2014)

  10. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    1,642
    Thanked
    378
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This makes me really really angry. Had IVF not been so damned expensive (we are looking at 8-10k per cycle in the country) we would have used it already and I'm not 40 but on the downward slope and DH is already in his 40's.

    Yes there is a higher likelihood of problems after 40 in both parents. But unless you have been through the absolute anguish of not being able to have a baby, you really have no basis to criticise.

    Could you imagine if they suggested banning IVF for under 25's bc they aren't 'mature' enough? or under 20's bc studies show there is also increased risk of issues as well?
    I don't think anyone is criticizing in this thread but agreeing with you. I too think there need to be some sort of government funding for this, at least until a certian age bracket (obviously 40's inclusive!).

    I know this is a difficult and a emotional question? It's not directed at you just a general question but your post got me thinking.

    If adoption was made more accessible in australia do you think people who are undergoing ivf for years would consider it as an option? Im not in any way saying that anyone is less deserving to have their own biological child. I'm just wondering from a financial and emotional side of things I guess? (not sure if emotional is the right word - im tired). I know it's not the same, and I'll never know or fully understand what people with fertility issues will and do go thorugh emotionally and mentally, but seeing my partner (not his bio dad) with DS and the love they have for each other is just amazing and heart warming and makes me know that Love & bonding isn't blood bound. If loosening the laws on adoption helped couples/families to feel complete, as everyone should be able to feel without the financial burden that ivf is, it would be great. I'd do it in a heart beat if I was unable to convince again (thats just how I feel).

    I really hope I havent hurt or offenced anyone in any way in my post. I'm not good at putting my thought into words so if I have I'm sorry!

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Mary Coustis have birth to her "first" baby last year via ivf at age 49.
    Yes she went to Greece to do it with donor eggs. I am tone regarding her story. On one hand she is a lovely lady and deserving to be a mum. On the other hand I don't know if being a 60 year old mother of a 10 year old is fair to the child. And I would have been disenchanted if Government funds were used to fund the treatment.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    headoverfeet  (11-03-2014),monkey&&me  (11-03-2014),Tazzy  (11-03-2014)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,525
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked
    2,539
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes she went to Greece to do it with donor eggs. I am tone regarding her story. On one hand she is a lovely lady and deserving to be a mum. On the other hand I don't know if being a 60 year old mother of a 10 year old is fair to the child. And I would have been disenchanted if Government funds were used to fund the treatment.
    If we're going to get into that debate then I can think of plenty of examples of ten year-old who deserve better parents than they have. Honestly (and not just targeting you specifically VP but the general point of which is raised) its so arbitrary to say it's unfair for a ten year-old to have a 60 year-old mum. Like someone said earlier, the same notion could apply to babies who have a too young mum, or any child if any age who has an incapable or bad or lazy parent. It's just plain wrong to make such assumptions.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (11-03-2014),MilkingMaid  (01-08-2014),VicPark  (12-03-2014)

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,936
    Thanks
    1,741
    Thanked
    1,273
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not sure about the cut off of 40. It's a bit harsh.

    However the thought of a 50 year old woman having a baby via IVF gives me a bad case of the heeby jeebies. At the least I don't think there should be any government assistance for IVF for a 50+ year old.
    Exactly what I was about to write. I think there should be a cut off but 40 isn't it. Too young.

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post

    I know this is a difficult and a emotional question? It's not directed at you just a general question but your post got me thinking.

    If adoption was made more accessible in australia do you think people who are undergoing ivf for years would consider it as an option? Im not in any way saying that anyone is less deserving to have their own biological child. I'm just wondering from a financial and emotional side of things I guess? (not sure if emotional is the right word - im tired). I know it's not the same, and I'll never know or fully understand what people with fertility issues will and do go thorugh emotionally and mentally, but seeing my partner (not his bio dad) with DS and the love they have for each other is just amazing and heart warming and makes me know that Love & bonding isn't blood bound. If loosening the laws on adoption helped couples/families to feel complete, as everyone should be able to feel without the financial burden that ivf is, it would be great. I'd do it in a heart beat if I was unable to convince again (thats just how I feel).

    I really hope I havent hurt or offenced anyone in any way in my post. I'm not good at putting my thought into words so if I have I'm sorry!
    Nope not offended at all, it's a valid question. We have 2 bio kids of our own. So no, I wouldn't look at adoption or even donor eggs, bc worst case scenario we walk away lucky to have our two and give up.

    If we had no kids? I would go IVF, then donor eggs, then adoption.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Pusheen The Cat  (11-03-2014)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-03-2014, 12:46
  2. Women needed for survey about NEW prenatal test
    By aimeeclaire in forum Research Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-02-2014, 21:12
  3. Voip.. who uses the internet to make calls etc? which app to use?
    By DesperatelySeekingSleep in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-11-2013, 15:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
121Temps
For the last 10 years 121 Temps has helped thousands of personal assistants/others to set up and work as a virtual assistant from home. Our services include: - One-2-One Mentoring - Online training/courses - Handbook, Toolkits, Templates & more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!