+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Kisses View Post
    I guess I would change the structure of the lesson - I tried to include a variety of resources but there was probably still too much 'teaching' from me - I would have preferred some more student-orientated activities (but went with what was requested of me). I'm teaching Science, Year 11.
    I reckon you just nailed it - too much "teaching" - maybe shift the focus from what am I teaching to what are they learning... It's fine to go with what's requested of you, your teaching style will develop and you'll begin to figure out what you value as important to student learning eg student centred activities - if you've figured this out you're pretty awesome already

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Strawberry Kisses  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post

Try to 'contextualise' something from your lessons for the kids -- ie the stories you say other teachers tell. I've started a science lesson on separating mixtures by telling the kids about cooking fried chicken. Have a 'hook' for them or think of an appropriate anecdote when planning. Or just ask questions -- kids love to talk about themselves!
    The students are great, very well behaved and attentive so me being crap has nothing to do with them. The hooks are something I'm still struggling with - finding something interesting and relevant to intro the topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a thought, if you're teaching a concept then YouTube or Google "how to introduce..." Engaging through shocking provocations is really useful as pp said get your hook!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What was your lesson focus today? What was your learning intention?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think you're being way too hard on yourself! Teaching is an art which takes years to develop. Talking in front of people also takes practice. The more you do it the more comfortable you'll get.
    Thank you. I probably am, I just really hate being so anxious and inexperienced! I'm not used to it in my usual 'work'. Maybe in a couple of days (or weeks!) I'll feel better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a thought, if you're teaching a concept then YouTube or Google "how to introduce..." Engaging through shocking provocations is really useful as pp said get your hook!
    Thanks, I will try that :-) Will have a look tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll speak with my mentor tomorrow and see what they say. After today I was ready to leave but I've put in so much effort already just to be there and I really don't want to just give up.

I will give it another go tomorrow :-)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strawberry Kisses For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-03-2014),mrsd  (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me know what you'll be teaching and I'll post some resources. Which state are you in?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I teach English and Maths, SK, so I'm no help to you with specific resources but I just wanted to say that my rule of thumb is always "Would I want to be a student in my class?" If it's a resounding "No", I'm doing something wrong. If it's a "it would be OK but not life-changing", I think that's quite acceptable for a prac teacher!

I've mentored before and the advice I would give is:
    * listen to your mentor's advice. Suggestions aren't usually suggestions - they're recommendations that you need to adopt.
    * know your subject and be prepared - you seem to have that. I like worksheets that are self-explanatory with a bit extra somewhere that brighter kids can go on with if you're tied up.
    * do everything you need to do and be punctual - just like any job. A bit of initiative and enthusiasm goes a long way in your mentor's eyes (never avoid playground duty or make excuses not to visit X's class if he/she invites you).
    * enjoy teaching - if you're enthusiastic, the kids will be, too.

Good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me know what you'll be teaching and I'll post some resources. Which state are you in?
    I'm teaching Psychology (yr 11) this week and Chemistry (yr 10) next week (as far as I know).