+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does your school have a school nurse?

Does your school have a school nurse? Is it private? Public? High school or primary? What role do they have?
    Our private school which has children from preschool up to year 12 doesn't and I feel that it should.
    They have a sick-bay manned by very young women, who have done a first aid course but I am not that impressed by them. When DD broke her collar bone they sent her back to play ( and it was hurting so a teachers aid brought her back and they called me). When I came to pick her up it was so obviously deformed and swollen blind freddy could have seen it.
    Her little friend ran into a pole the other day - was sent back out to play - came back not feeling well and the GP said she had mild concussion.
    On top of that there are all the issues for the teenagers and the things they go through...where do they go for help or advice when they are 14? 15?
    I know our state schools all have one so I was wondering what is happening in the rest of the country ( I should add that I am a nurse myself).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter's school has a nurse. It's a private school from prep to year 12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons school has a nurse, it's a public school. They ask for a voluntary contribution towards it which we pay, my DS seems to use it a bit bless him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My school never had a nurse, just a sick bay. We had a counselor if anyone needed to talk about something and the ladies that ran the sick bay were great.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both high schools I went to did (p-12) both private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't think so. We have a sick bay but I'm pretty sure it's just manned by office staff with first aid training. This is a public primary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughters school has a sick bay mannered by the office staff but I can't speak more highly of them. DD1 goes there at least twice a day to do her blood sugar levels (type 1). No nurse though.

Forgot to add it's a private school

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's private school has 2 nurses. My DD has food allergies (anaphylactic) so I'm really grateful they are there. Last year during a spate of hot weather, her eczema flared up terribly and got infected. They gave her cool showers at break times to relieve the itch. Worth their weight in gold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No. It's manned by office staff who are great.
    Private pp to 12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes ds's catholic school has a nurse. She is employed by the school on a full time basis. She does hearing, eye testing and the 4 year old health check.