+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much fruit do your kids eat!

Is there ever an issue with having too much fruit?
    My 3 and 1 year old eat so much of it I can't keep up and end up stocking up again before the weekly shop!
    In a week, my two kids only, will go through:
    7-8bananas
    6 passionfruit
    5-6 apricots,plums,nectarines,peaches
    4-5 apples
    2 pears
    5 kiwi fruit
    2 oranges
    1 punnet blueberries
    1 punnet strawberries
    and I am still going back to shops for more before the weekly shop! Is this fairly normal? They tend to always go for fruit over any other snacks I offer. Or if I don't have fruit as an option, they won't eat what I put out....like bickies/cheese/dried fruits/muffins/ect.

They eat their meals through out the day well and bowel movements are regular but pretty putrid. I hate fruit, can't stand it and gag while chopping it up !

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can have too much fruit because it's full of sugars even though they are natural sugars too much isn't good for their teeth and bodies. My kids love fruit too but I try and limit them to 3 things a day. They usually have a bowl of fruit salad with about 4 different fruits in it for morning tea. Then some fruit for afternoon tea. My kids also love fresh vegies like cucumber, capsicum, carrot, snow peas, avocado etc so I try and stop them having mostly fruit and offer veg as well. We are the same with shopping though I have to get so much fresh fruit and veg just to get through the week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rodeobull For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-02-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is a fruit lover, too. She probably eats half a watermelon or more, half kilo grapes, 2 bananas (she's gone off them a bit), 7 pears/nectarines/plums, a punnet of strawberries and 2-3 oranges a week. Plus sultanas. She screams for apples when she spots them in the supermarket (to her ANY round hand held fruit is called an apple, lol) and wants to eat them then and there, right off the shelf.
    Meh. I'd prefer a fruit addiction over junk. Fruit does contain fructose, but it could be worse

Just wanted to add that DD eats vegies in the same fashion, she snacks on corn (kernals and baby spears), baby carrot, cucumber etc and lots of meats and savouries as well- she doesn't just live on fruit and only drinks water.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 26-02-2014 at 14:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Aim for no more than 2 serves of fruit per day - my DS would eat 10 if I let him but the problem with too much fruit is if they fill up on it they are missing out on other nutrients - fruit is great for vitamins, fibre and antioxidents but like most carbs lacks protein, fat , omegas and calcium ect so offer carrot / cucumber/celery/capsicum sticks with dips as a snack or cheese and crackers, rice cakes with avocado or nut butters or yogurt or boiled eggs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine loves fruit too. Mostly grapes, bananas and watermelon. I don't stress- better fruit than chips and nuggets. Also, I thought it was at least two serves a day, not two serves only!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has 1 serve per day, a banana! He refuses all other fruit whatsoever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    Mine loves fruit too. Mostly grapes, bananas and watermelon. I don't stress- better fruit than chips and nuggets. Also, I thought it was at least two serves a day, not two serves only!
    It's not only 2 serves but at 3 I like DS not to fill up on too much fruit! ( which we both easily could!)

I think the "recommended" minimum fruit intake up to age 3 is 1 serve a day, ages 3-8 is 1.5 serves a day and over 8 and adults is 2 serves a day - I've always given DS at least 2 as he loves it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boys eat a lot of fruit as do dh and I. I should add up what I spend on fruit per week!
    I would rather they have natural sugar than artificial sugar, they don't have lollies or such much at all so I am not going to stop them eating fruit. There isn't any fruit they don't like. Ds1 has to take 2 pieces of fruit to school and he will often come home and have another 2 pieces. 2 pieces of those fruits are apples, he loves apples. They don't seem to fill up on fruit that they don't eat their main meals which is great.
    We don't have any issue getting the boys to eat 2 fruit and 5 veg a day that's for sure. They have both just been to the dentist and have healthy teeth and they have good bowel movements too. Healthy little vegemites.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 26-02-2014 at 14:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    You can have too much fruit because it's full of sugars even though they are natural sugars too much isn't good for their teeth and bodies.
    This. I try and limit to 2 a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Is there ever an issue with having too much fruit?
    I know you're asking in relation to children eating fruit, but I just thought I'd add that adult fruitarians (people who only eat fruit) usually have terrible teeth thanks to all the natural sugars that fruit contain.

I have the same problem here though, and this thread has reminded me to make more of an effort to eat 5 veg and 2 fruit, instead of what we usually eat, 2 veg and 5 fruit...