+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Very high HCG/2 yolk sacs - twins?

I have had a complicated and upsetting beginning to my pregnancy but everything seems to be going smoothly now at 8.5 weeks along.

Due to some complications I had 3 u/s in a week at 5.5 - 6.5 weeks. The first 2 u/s showed 2 yolk sacs in 1 gestational sac which was all measuring to my dates. My HCG was 37500 at 5.5 weeks which the drs said was very high. They subsequently told me that they didn't think my pregnancy would be viable as at that high hormones there should be a HB.

An u/s a week later showed 1 baby with normal HB and measuring exactly to my dates (again!). I havent had any follow up HCG bloods done and I have been told the pregnancy is viable and that the chance of losing it now is less than 5%.

As they saw 2 yolk sacs is there a possibility there are twins in there and they didn't pick up the second HB the next week? I've had terrible morning sickness/fatigue etc since around 5 weeks and am already in maternity jeans . None of the drs would discuss the possibility of twins with me (due to the complications they wanted me to focus on getting better!).

I don't have another scan for 4 more weeks - wdyt? Twins or just wishful thinking....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. It's possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. It's possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I have had a complicated and upsetting beginning to my pregnancy but everything seems to be going smoothly now at 8.5 weeks along.

Due to some complications I had 3 u/s in a week at 5.5 - 6.5 weeks. The first 2 u/s showed 2 yolk sacs in 1 gestational sac which was all measuring to my dates. My HCG was 37500 at 5.5 weeks which the drs said was very high. They subsequently told me that they didn't think my pregnancy would be viable as at that high hormones there should be a HB.

An u/s a week later showed 1 baby with normal HB and measuring exactly to my dates (again!). I havent had any follow up HCG bloods done and I have been told the pregnancy is viable and that the chance of losing it now is less than 5%.

As they saw 2 yolk sacs is there a possibility there are twins in there and they didn't pick up the second HB the next week? I've had terrible morning sickness/fatigue etc since around 5 weeks and am already in maternity jeans . None of the drs would discuss the possibility of twins with me (due to the complications they wanted me to focus on getting better!).

I don't have another scan for 4 more weeks - wdyt? Twins or just wishful thinking....
    I would wonder if there were twins too! If you are concerned, maybe talk to your health professional again and discuss what you have written here... I would be keen to know if I was having twins ASAP! I hope you can get some answers quickly! Either way though, know that you have one bub in there with a lil heart beating away, a second would be a beautiful addition! good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehe thanks girls. Next u/s is on march 20 and my midwife appointment is march 14 so I think I'll wait til then to ask questions and see if there is one or 2.

Going back to thinking maybe it is just one! I'm kind of hoping the midwife might do a quick scan so we can see baby but not sure if she will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Midwife won't be able to ultrasound unless she has done a sonography course. Might be able to get a referral from her though! Fingers crossed for a happy healthy pregnancy whether there is one or two bubs 😃