+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for taking a pram on public transport

I am just after some tips for travelling on the bus with a baby in a pram. I will be doing this a lot once bubs arrives as I don't drive.

I was reading on the translink website that during peak times or if the wheelchair areas are already occupied, I will be required to fold my pram & store it in the luggage rack. It also says the driver will not assist with this due to OHS risks. But how am I supposed to do this if I am by myself? Knowing the people around here, I probably won't have much luck if I ask another passenger to fold & stow the pram for me. Obviously I will try & avoid peak times but you can never tell when there are going to be other prams or wheelchairs on the bus. How do you manage?

Also, on a train, can I get a fine if I just park the pram in the aisle? If the wheelchair spaces are full there isn't really any other option.

Also I'd prefer to use a pram over a sling or baby carrier most of the time due to ongoing issues with my neck.

Just asking now in case there is anything that I need to do or get so I can be all prepared to get out & about once the baby comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had the same issue so I rang the bus company and asked if they knew what times to avoid. They were able to give me a general overview but I really just had to guess. Unfortunately you wont be allowed to have your pram in the isle and I have seen many bus drivers get annoyed if your pram is in the way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (26-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I travelled a bit by bus with DS1 when he was little. It was never in peak times (always after 9am ish), so never really had a problem with it being too busy. I have a mountain buggy terrain, which is on the large side - there is no way I could have packed it up and stowed it away if there was no room for me to park the pram! I guess in that situation I would have had to just get off the bus and catch another one. An option if you do need to travel in peak times would be to take an umbrella stroller instead of a normal pram - that would only be useful for short trips and when bub is older though. I'm sure you'll get asked to move the pram on a train if it is in the aisle before they fine you. I have been on many a train where the prams are parked around the doors, because that's really the only space there is.

ETA: my only other general tip would be to get on/ off last, so you're not holding people up trying to get the pram on and off. It also took me a few practice runs to get work out which way to get on and off - with my pram I had to get on backwards and get off forwards (not sure if that's how everyone does it, but I tried getting on forwards my first trip and made a complete a$$ of myself and nearly tipped the pram )
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 26-02-2014 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I travelled a bit by bus with DS1 when he was little. It was never in peak times (always after 9am ish), so never really had a problem with it being too busy. I have a mountain buggy terrain, which is on the large side - there is no way I could have packed it up and stowed it away if there was no room for me to park the pram! I guess in that situation I would have had to just get off the bus and catch another one. An option if you do need to travel in peak times would be to take an umbrella stroller instead of a normal pram - that would only be useful for short trips and when bub is older though. I'm sure you'll get asked to move the pram on a train if it is in the aisle before they fine you. I have been on many a train where the prams are parked around the doors, because that's really the only space there is.
    I agree with this! Maybe try to buy a smaller pram specifically for public transport. Combi have prams that are the size of a stroller, they are light weight and some models fully recline for a newborn and they are a one handed fold so you could early hold a baby while folding it. They are still up right when they fold so no bending when you need to unfold them again! I sound like I work for the company haha I used to sell them at a baby store mainly to people who wanted to use them on public transport!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I didn't drive when I had DS1 and there is no way I would have ever attempted taking a pram on a bus. It's a logistical nightmare! I caught buses a fair bit but used a carrier.
    On trains it wasn't too bad. I would take a small pram/stroller and just stand with it or sit in the sideways facing seats( QLD trains) with the pram beside me. If you are in NSW or live somewhere with a similar train they might be a bit harder as there is just no space for a pram, particularly on older models.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a maclaren umbrella stroller on buses and trains. Can fold it with one hand while holding bub. Easy to stow. But don't have to if not peak times and we sit in the accessible section at front. It's never been an issue with wheelchairs as plenty of room for several plus us or other prams. This is Canberra buses though, all pretty new on my routes. On trains (when I am home it's London underground and overground so busy all the time) you just go where there is room and sod everyone else, lol. It can be useful to have a sling with you too in case you need to carry the buggy up stairs, or fold it up and stand.

I would say don't worry too much, just try it and you'll get used to it all and get confident quickly :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second a combi stroller. When folded it stands itself upright.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took DD on a bus or ferry too and from the city (Syd) from 6mo when I returned to work. Her childcare was in the city and I had no choice but to be during peak hour. In the 12 months I did it I only ever got 1 snarky remark from a woman who had to stand to allow my pram on. She huffed and puffed that prams shouldn't be allowed during peak hour etc. the bus driver announced that if she could show him a pension or disability card he'd let her remain seated if not she was able bodied enough to stand. She was only about 50. The whole bus clapped. Ha

So - in answer to your question. Go for it. Majority of people out there are helpful.
    I travelled with a maclaren stroller too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll really need an umbrella stroller.
    On the trains it won't be a problem, they're very roomy.
    On the bus, it depends on the driver. Most of the time they had no issue in letting me park in the disabled spot. If they did ask me to fold the pram, this is why you need an umbrella stroller. You can take baby out, fold the stroller with one hand, lift it with one hand, and do it all again when you get off, with one hand.
    If you are worried, perhaps you could get an easy sling, like a pouch, and when you get to the bus stop you could put baby in the sling and fold the stroller, then get baby out again when you get off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I also don't drive and have travelled with 2 kids on buses/trains.

On trains, don't get on the guard carriage, they are smaller. Also watch out for quiet carriages if you're in Sydney. You can't keep it in the aisle. You will need to stand with it or take baby out and leave it folded near the doors where they have space for bikes.

On buses check that it is a wheelchair accessible one. I have only had to fold up our pram a few times though there is nowhere to put it on our buses so I keep it with me in a seat (umbrella stroller). I have also taken a big pram but have never had to fold it. When you're going off the bus take the pram backwards so your baby doesn't tip head first. Practice with your foot on the back lifting the front wheels to get on the bus.

Sent from my telecommunications device.