+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Windy bub? Reflux? What else can I do?!!

Hi Sorry I posted this in the bottle feeding section but thought I would post here as well for help. I am just after some suggestions on what I can do next.. Hoping someone can help!! I have a Dr's appointment on Thursday to discuss (our nurse is on holidays & her "replacement" just googles things in front of me so I may as well do it myself!)..

My bub is 7wks on Thursday & fully formula fed on Bellamy's organic. She was breastfed exclusively until 4wks when two bouts of mastitis & a death in the family made me really struggle with breastfeeding so I switched to formula.

She had always been windy even on the boob, but it's been bad lately (3days). It happens throughout the day so I don't believe its colic. She has been screaming in pain and her tummy get so hard and I can hear stuff rumbling around. I calm her down and then happens again - vicious cycle.

We use Dr Browns bottles (tried MAM, didn't have much luck at all), add infacol, burp her at least 3 time during feeds, keep her up right for about 30mins after as well and use infants friend. Loads of flatulence.

She has a BM pretty much every day and (sorry TMI) is green, thick like peanut butter. She catnaps during the day (only one sleep cycle really) but sleeps through the night. I have the wonder weeks app and she had her first leap last week.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any formula suggestions? Would lactose free help? Or if it could be silent reflux? I am confused about the symptoms I read on spilt milk. Constipation?

I just don't know where to go next!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like silent reflux darl my DS was the same until he started the medication for it Losec takes around 2 weeks to start working so is take bub to the doctors as soon as you can for confirmation and a prescription if it is silent reflux. Sorry about the death in the family too x

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can work out if it is reflux quick by giving 1ml if Mylanta before a feed and 1ml after. (20 ml maximum per day). This can cause a runny poo and a little nappy rash but is better than silent reflux. If it helps you will see a difference from the first feed. Just use a 1ml syringe, you can get them from pharmacies. If it helps then get your Dr to prescribe Losec. If you live near a compounding pharmacy they can make
    It into a syrup rather than a tablet. Goodluck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleo77 For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you're having troubles. I had similar with both my kids and they were cows milk intolerant. DD had a green very soft BM after each bottle plus a rash on her face and both disappeared after switching to soy. DS screamed in pain for hours a day plus had green BM's and bad eczema. He is also Soy intolerant so he is on Goats milk formula.
    Lactose intolerance is rare and usually the BM is green AND watery/frothy.
    I'm not sure about PP suggestion of silent reflux - I have no knowledge/experience in that area but worth talking to your dr about that also. I found my gp and paed didn't know much about milk intolerance so I just switched formula based on hours of book and internet research and the difference was immediate. So you could try switching formula and you may have an idea by the time you see the dr if there has been any change. good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you mean by "it happens throughout the day so I don't believe it's colic". Our paed said colic just means unsettled & crying a lot.

Mylanta doesn't always work on reflux, from what I've read (and seen in my own bub) so not sure that it really is "the way to tell if it's reflux".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The green bm does make it sound a bit like cows milk protein intolerance rather than reflux. Soy isn't recommended in young boys but I think its not so bad for girls, and goats milk protein is very similar to cows milk protein so it's also usually not recommended for bubbies with CMPI. You could try Allerpro which is an extensively hydrolysed formula now available over the counter in pharmacies. Its pretty expensive but if the CMPI is proven a paed will be able to prescribe a better formula. Make sure you don't make too many changes all at once or you won't know what actually helped. Good luck, if only our little ones could talk!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes I used Allerpro initially. I forgot about that! The pains stopped with Allerpro which helped me work out what was wrong. DS still had green poo and eczema on allerpro though which is why I tried goats. Each Bub is different so it's a matter of seeing what works

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the infacol, administer it directly onto the tongue before a feed rather than adding it to the bottle. This ensures she gets the full dose even if she doesn't finish the bottle.

Mylanta did nothing for my ds silent reflux. We tried lactose free formula then losec which made some difference but it's still an awful time I'm afraid. Make sure you go to the gp.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go to www.reflux.org.au

Theres a great tool on there with a list of things for you to look at and take to the dr to help diagnose reflux. Theres a whole heap of helpful info on there too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Moowisha  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for your help!

I have my appointment tomorrow morning with our Dr. and looking forward to getting things sorted.

I won't change formula until I speak to him RE: reflux. I live in a small country town and our chemist only stocks one type of formula, s-26 gold. So I will have to get some at the chemist tomorrow if I need to change.

Being my first I have no idea what I am doing half the time so I have been really anxious these past few days. And I have read that colic is more of a nigh time thing so I didn't think it would be that but I am probably wrong.

Again thank you all so much for your suggestions. Now I just need to write down my questions for the Dr.