+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18 month old in a bed

Just wondering if anyone has any experience moving an 18 month old from a cot to a 'big bed'? What were your experiences with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS1 did it well didn't get out after being put in it didn't upset him at all. DD2 started waking every night and coming in to see us but when put to bed at the start of the night would stay there until waking.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did with DD1, as we needed the cot for DD2. We had both the cot and bed in her room and asked her each nap time/ night if she wanted to sleep in her big girl bed. She mostly said no, but then started having naps in it. It was a while ago now, but I seem to remember that we had to take the cot out of her room before she would sleep in the bed at night. It took a while (maybe a month) before she slept in the bed every time.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We moved dd1 out of the cot at 16m. We actually just put her on a single bed mattress on the floor so that if she rolled out it was no biggie. And it meant she could climb on and off as much as she wanted. She loved it. We put the mattress down with the cot still in the room, intending to let her play on it by day but still sleep in the cot by night. She wasn't having a bar of that plan though! She slept on the mattress from the first night. And she didn't seem to realise she could get up after she had been put to bed, so we had no problem with her escaping. Worked a treat!
    Last edited by Gothel; 25-02-2014 at 18:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put DD in an Ikea extendable bed at 18 mths. It was a really smooth transition, she was fine. We also took the rocking chair out of her room and put some cool wall stickers up on the same day. So her room transitioned from a nursery to a "big girl's" room at the same time. DD loved it

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD has been in a toddler bed at my mil's house for day sleeps since she was 13 months, we haven't had any issues with it. We will be putting her in a toddler bed at our place pretty soon and she's 15 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We also started with a mattress on the floor. I put rolled towels around the edge under the fitted sheet to create a bump so never used a rail when it went onto a bed frame. She was thrilled with it and slept perfectly until she hit the terrible 2s and started to get up after being put to bed.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved my DS at 19m into a single bed with a bed rail. Cot went out of the room the same day the bed went in. Initially he didn't realise he could get out of bed himself and since he has been (around 21m) he's been great. Might get up and play in his room at nap time but always gets back on the bed to sleep. Night time he doesn't get up at all, and he just comes out and sees us when he wakes in the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 11 month old is in a toddler bed in our room atm. She was in a cot but as she began to climb out and fall, we thought it is the safer option to fall, if she's going to, from only two inches.
    It's such a cute little bed.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I think we are going to give it a go! (Hopefully we can keep the wool pulled over his eyes for a while before he finally realises he can get out of his bed lol).