+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby not drinking much, how to get formula into him?

6 month old DS is dragging his heels with his bottles lately and we are lucky if we can get 50-100ml in him before he cracks it. I have been adding more formula to his solids (which he is very good with thank God). This is not remotely enough to give him his full formula allocation for the day. I have made some gelatine with formula up just now which I will see if he will take. I am wondering if yoghurt might be an option. I have an easiyo and make my own yoghurt using milk powder. Has anyone made yoghurt using formula? I think it might be a good option

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How much food is he having? At that age I would lesson the solids and try and get more formula into him
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 24-02-2014 at 19:00.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Agree with pp, stop solids and get his milk intake up again, 6 months is far too early to drop any milk feeds and formula is far more important than solids at that age

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's eating well and your adding formula to his meals then I wouldn't worry my son did this for a few wks it was just a faise. I saw my CHN and she told me that bubs go through faises just like we do. She told me to give more bottles of less amounts of formula and build from there. He went back to his usual self after a few wks. Don't stress your self though and don't force him to drink more and eat less as it will turn into a fight between you both and a stressed mummy and cranky bub.

Asha 26, William 13 months

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AshaTooley For This Useful Post:

Blackdomino1  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even when he doesn't have solids he will only drink about half of what he should. I only introduced solids because he wasn't drinking enough. He has been underweight since day one and refused to breast feed beyond week 6. I know he needs more formula, I am after ways of getting that into him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds was the same. Before and after introducing solids he never ever had the recommended amount of formula. I tried different brands and bottles etc. He ended up having silent reflux. When you say he cracks it after a short while do you mean he is uncomfortable?

Have you brought up silent reflux with your gp or child health nurse?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

Blackdomino1  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A sippy cup might help, even though 6 months may take the formula that way. Smoothies with formula, frozen formula icy blocks

Asha 26, William 13 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnels View Post
    My ds was the same. Before and after introducing solids he never ever had the recommended amount of formula. I tried different brands and bottles etc. He ended up having silent reflux. When you say he cracks it after a short while do you mean he is uncomfortable?

Have you brought up silent reflux with your gp or child health nurse?
    He will start the bottle ok but after a short while (unless he drops off in which case he will often drink no problem), he will pull off and refuse any more. We seem to be able to get him until his first break and then he won't have any more. He doesn't seem uncomfortable. He will flex a bit but that is relieved by burping. He just turns his head and cries when we try to feed him more. He is strong for a little thing and shut his mouth so you can't get it in if he doesn't want you to.

I hadn't thought about reflux but if it persists I will take him to the GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very much like my ds with reflux. So hard to know what's going on isn't it. Maybe he's just not a hungry bub? At that age they also get really easily distracted and won't feed more because they want to know what else is going on in the room. Have you tried going into a dark and quiet room?
    Sorry you really wanted ideas on how to get more milk into him but I've gone elsewhere.

For peace of mind I'd go to the gp to rule out medical reasons. Doesn't hurt to get that peace of mind. Good luck. Ss

Thanks
    Reviews
    What size teats are you using? My DD got fussy with bottles around 6 months and I realised I had forgotten to go up to the number 4 (Avent bottles) teats. She was much better once we changed.