+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this EXACT post OP. My DD is 6 months now and I still feel the same.
    I never had a problem with my DH's family I have never been close to them or had them constantly wanting to visit UNTIL DD came along and that just made me really annoyed that they never bothered before.
    When DD was a newborn I just wanted to be at home with her establishing breast feeding and just cuddling her and making sure she was happy. I NEVER ask to hold other peoples babies as it is not something that interested me and whenever I HAD to pass my newborn over to someone I could see how much she hated it and got upset so I started just saying she's not happy at the moment or something like that.
    I know not everyone would agree with this. but I cant help the way I feel I did try but it only upset me.I became extremely protective of my DD although in saying that around my family it was different because they cared to ask how I was doing and didnt just rush straight to the baby forgetting about me.
    DH's family never let us know when they are coming just think its okay to drop in even after DH telling them to call/message first so in the early days we just wouldn't answer the door. It's full on with a newborn and the last thing I wanted was to feel like I had to entertain.
    Just do what makes you happy and don't care what anyone else says about it all that matter is that you are happy for your little baby.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, thanks all for your replies! I won't reply to everyone but it's hugely reassuring to know I'm not the only one, and that it probably is to some extent just protective mama instincts.

Junglemum and lexim, thank you for explaining the other side, and positives, a bit more for me too. And on a purely rational level, I totally agree with what you've said! I don't want to exclude our very loving families, and I want them to have a good relationship with all of our future children, but this still isn't quite enough to shake the feeling of "He's mine! Back off! Grr!"

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I agree with you , your feelings are maybe just a little too strong, are you an anxious person in general?
    I totally am! But not in a "can't stop worrying about bad things that could happen" kind of way, it's more that I can't handle too much social or sensory stimulation. So I'm sure the thought of simply having lots of visitors to our home is making me a bit anxious too!

Quote Originally Posted by mumbron View Post
    Your feelings will change once the baby is here and it won't sleep or settle and you need a break!
    Sure for now your his/her protector and no one else can take that away from you but when the baby is born you will need to share it around with your DH and family & friends unless you are willing to hurt your loved ones by not allowing them this opportunity!
    lol I'm rather hoping this will happen actually, that once he's here I'll switch to "yes! Please take him so I can go nap/shower/eat!"

But just thinking about having an obligation to 'share' him, instantly raises my metaphorical hackles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get were your coming from to a certain extent. I was (and am still) very protective of DS. He actually had his first day with mum today, the only time he's not been with DH or I and he turned 1 a week ago.

I also think it's important tho. Think about it like keeping his horizons broadened to. Making sure social situations are the norm for him and hopefully won't be an anxiety provoking experience.

To help you, perhaps do things when people come to visit so instead of staring at ppl thinking give my baby back, think, he's being loved cared for and attended to right now, I'll use this time to have a shower, eat a hot meal etc.

I also never understood people all of a sudden wanting to be best friend now I was pregnant. But the good thing is the people that aren't true friends are just all talk and never actually make an effort.

So bad time to mention we should catch up next time your in town joking!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Deku I completely get where you are! I felt the same through my pregnancy with DD. I found that once she was born those feelings slowly slipped away. She is 4 months and I am not ready to leave her with anyone yet but dont have the fierce feelings anymore. I felt it was my Mumma instinct on overdrive! My advice... space out visitors so you dont get overwhelmed x

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you're feeling is pretty common OP and I don't think you're being overprotective. I felt exactly the same with my first and similarly with my other children. Only difference really was that with my first child I was young and depressed and my family took advantage of my vulnerability by constantly taking her off me when all I really needed from them was support. After that horrific experience that saw me become clinically depressed I never allowed myself to be treated that way again. Either way you really shouldn't have to feel obligated to hand your new baby over constantly. There is plenty of time for that. I think it's selfish and rude to say things like you'll never get him/her back (because they will all be clambering for cuddles) before you've even given birth. Just for me personally I wouldn't dream of saying that to a pregnant woman no matter what relation they are to me. It's almost like they're already telling you what they expect and you're just meant to go along. I just think you need a month to settle and find your feet as a new mother and family can visit but they need to be respectful and not take over or insist on cuddles. You're allowed to want to bond with your baby without constant interruptions particularly if you're already feeling defensive about it. If they were respectful and not already insisting on what they want I bet you would be more inclined to offer them cuddles with your baby because it wouldn't feel like you were being pressured and completely disregarded as if your only purpose was to incubate a baby for them to play with and love. And before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not suggesting that extended family be kept away, just that they need to be respectful of the OP and that anyone who's had children should have enough sense not to want to impose on her right away. OP I can't say how you'll feel after your baby is born but regardless of if it's how you're feeling now or not you will learn to let go over time, but it shouldn't and doesn't have to be the second your baby is born. It's normal and at least biologically necissary I think, to want to keep your baby close. You're the muma

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ok i am going to take this from a different angle.

Now is the time to figure out how you are going to overcomes Some of these feelings. I have a children that goes into sensory overload and planning is a huge key to reduce their stress. So please forgive me if this isn't helpful.

1. Get yourself a baby wearing wrap. Like a hug a Bub or the like. They are super easy to make one.
    You use this when your out when you don't want Bub to passed around. People tend not to ask for a cuddle when they are in a wrap. No one can just pick them up either.

2. Decide who and when you let Bub be held by in the first few weeks.

3. Let people know now that you will be restricting visitors. Make a rough plan of what you want. Eg no one or just grandparents at hospital etc.
    Set aside a few hours a day or very few days and invite (so you have the control) who you want to see Bub. If your worried they will over stay meet out say at a coffee place.

4. Make plenty of meals in advance and freeze. This will help with the 'dropping by to give you a meal' visits and really will be a godsend when Bub is little.

5. Start to talk positive about other people getting to know Bub.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 25-02-2014 at 09:27.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

deku  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With respect, I don't believe a newborn baby needs to have broader horizons. When they are around 1 definitely but a newborn simply needs his mum. Also I don't believe that nurturing a strong bond with mum and baby causes a child to become insecure later in life unless there is some serious helicopter parenting going on beyond 18 months old. I was very much an attachment parent with my 3rd child after my second died (SIDS). She is the most confident and capable of all of my children. I don't get the sense that the OP will be a clingy over the top parent at all. She just wants time to bond with her baby without pressure to hand the baby over all the time and when her baby gets older and more interactive im sure she will become more relaxed. That is if she isn't pushed in the opposite direction by pushy overzealous relatives. I think that's fair. I really like the baby wearing idea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

deku  (27-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly PP! And unfortunately I was pushed too far which has made it even worse. I hope that doesn't happen with you OP and people will be more understanding.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel you. When this chick that I've been friends with since 2009 ( but only seen in person twice) found out I was pregnant she kept saying things like "how's our baby" and saying she will have to figure out how to get to the hospital for visits. I got so angry I ended up saying no visitors. Especially not you haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Phew, I finally have some time to get back on and read everything properly and reply!
    I won't quote everyone but again, thank you all heaps for your replies and lots of useful advice and I'm really glad that these feelings are pretty normal!

Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    ...Making sure social situations are the norm for him and hopefully won't be an anxiety provoking experience.
    I get what you mean, and I have no issues with having him out in public and around other people. But only while securely attached to me, for the first few months
    With people like my mum or MIL, I think I will try the approach of taking the opportunity to go do other things instead of (as you so accurately put it!) "staring at people thinking give my baby back"

Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    So bad time to mention we should catch up next time your in town joking!!!
    Hehe ...I'd totally be up for it though, one day our boys could have play together and we'll be the mums hanging out like our mums did... wow now I feel old!

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Now is the time to figure out how you are going to overcomes Some of these feelings. I have a children that goes into sensory overload and planning is a huge key to reduce their stress. So please forgive me if this isn't helpful.
    Planning and not having unexpected things happen is really important for me too
    I have several different wraps/slings all ready to go! And it's a good idea to talk to family about my expectations and limits beforehand, it's silly but I hadn't really thought about that. I spend so much time thinking about trying to learn and follow what I see as 'social rules', I forget that I can kind of declare my own too.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    With respect, I don't believe a newborn baby needs to have broader horizons. When they are around 1 definitely but a newborn simply needs his mum. Also I don't believe that nurturing a strong bond with mum and baby causes a child to become insecure later in life unless there is some serious helicopter parenting going on beyond 18 months old. I was very much an attachment parent with my 3rd child after my second died (SIDS). She is the most confident and capable of all of my children. I don't get the sense that the OP will be a clingy over the top parent at all. She just wants time to bond with her baby without pressure to hand the baby over all the time and when her baby gets older and more interactive im sure she will become more relaxed. That is if she isn't pushed in the opposite direction by pushy overzealous relatives. I think that's fair. I really like the baby wearing idea

You've never met me but I feel like you've just complimented and increased confidence in my future parenting! Thank you for understanding perfectly

16. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-02-2014)