+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting rid of night time nappy.

Our toilet training journey with dd has been a complete nightmare. She will be 4 in august and currently still wears a night time nappy. She is in undies all day long and even during her day time nap and very rarely has accidents. She will poo on toilet sometimes but more then often she'll wait until the night time nappy goes on and poos in it before going to sleep or first thing when she wakes. I would just take away the napy but its still soaking wet even though I limit her fluids before bed. I have no idea what to do to encourage her to poo on toilet, I've tried reward systems and sitting her on the toilet before bed etc she will just sit there and not do anything. I talk to her about being a big girl and using the toilet nearly everyday. We have a baby due in october and I'd love to have her fully out of nappies by then. I don't know what to do.... any suggestions???

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey :-) It sounds to me like you're doing everything you should be. I know this isn't advise, but I do know of many children still having trouble with poos at that age and def lots still in nighttime nappies. I know it's easier to say than do, but perhaps if you try not to worry about it, everything will click for her soon. Take care and best of luck with the new baby.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goosey01 For This Useful Post:

melimum  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our eldest was tt before he was 3 but still needed a night time nappy until he was 4. Every few months we would try no nappy (with conni pad on bed), but he would wee in his sleep as it was a developmental thing.

Our second child was tt at a similar time and we of course left the night time nappy on thinking he would require it too - only to realise after a week that he was waking up dry, so we stopped putting a nappy on at night and he was tt fully just before 3.

You aren't doing anything wrong - sometimes it is up to the child and their development. What happens if you leave the night time nappy off altogether? Do they wet the bed? If so - absolutely leave it on. The only reason I ask is that when we were tt DS1 we at times put a pull up on him during the day if being out somewhere instead of undies and he would be lazy and go to the toilet in the pull up, but when we stopped the pull-ups he asked to go to the bathroom when out.

The only other thing that I would suggest is to take any stress out of the situation (if there is any). How old is she? I'm currently contemplating when to tt little miss DD as we are due in July and she is currently 2 yrs 4.5 months!

(Congrats by the way - it is hard being pg after losing a bub so late. We lost one of ours at the 19 wk mark and still waiting to hold this one for it to be real)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

melimum  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD turned 3 yesterday was toilet trained day and night at the same time start of January but still poos in a nappy. Her toilet training at night we simply just didn't put a Nappy on her one night because she fell asleep early she's never had an accident. Don't know what to do about the poos though.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LiterallyNoOne For This Useful Post:

melimum  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

little ted- thanks and congrats to you to. I feel the same way just want october to hurry up so I can hold my bub finally x

Anyway back on topic.... its extremely frustrating because I know she can poo on the toilet. Tonight we talked about it right before I put the nappy on her. Then 2 mins later she cames out saying sorry mummy. I think I'm going to attempt putting a mattress protector on her bed and just no nappy what so ever. I think she'll wet the bed and I'll prob be dealing with wet sheets every morning but maybe it'll stop the poo in the nappy???

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is exactly our story, dd was daytime trained for ages but would randomly poo in her night nappy even though capable of using the loo. We just went cold turkey on the night nappy at about 3.5yrs, it solved the poo issue, and worked fine for about a month, then she went through a stage of sleeping heavier and would wee in her sleep and not wake until morning.

Eventually I went back to night nappies, and then tried again when she turned four and the second time it just worked. Just needed to wait until she was ready I think.