+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st pregnancy & need advice please!

Hi, i recently found out I'm a mum-to-be. It hasnt fully hit me yet. I am 12 weeks and 3 days today. I havent had my first scan yet either but i have had blood taken.

My problem is that I am only 20, and I honestly have no idea how to tell my parents. They live on the other side of Aust, and my eldest sister has a 18 month old boy, who they absolutely adore. Im afraid that when I tell them, they are going to get angry at me and I fear the worst. I am supposed to be flying over to see them towards the end of the year for my birthday.

I dont want to be judged and criticized for having my first child at a young age.

I want to tell them before i get further along but after my first scan so i can confirm and fully accept it myself. My partner is overjoyed. I just dont know how to break the news to my parents.

Help please?

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I got pregnant I was so nervous to tell my mum! I remember walking around the shops for ages just thinking "do it now!" I said something along the lines of sooooo guess what I'm pregnant. She was like you're kidding (worried as I hadn't finished uni and we weren't married). After it sunk in she said when you tell your dad and other people you should say, "Guess what! I/we are having a baby!" In an excited way and be proud of it. So I did that and got a much better reaction. That would something id suggest good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (11-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all, congratulations!!! How exciting

I got pregnant unexpectedly as well and I was extremely nervous to tell my parents. I also had to tell them over the phone as they were away on a 4 month holiday and if I waited till I saw them I wouldn't have to tell them, it would have been obvious

Brutally honest advice, expect them to be surprised. My mum was shocked and actually had to hang up the phone - not rudely or anything, but just to take the time to process. She called me back 20 mins later and was ok with it, and is now the most loving, doting grandmother ever.

I know it's scary, but if they are loving grandparents already, there's no reason not to expect they will be the same about your little one. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    When I got pregnant I was so nervous to tell my mum! I remember walking around the shops for ages just thinking "do it now!" I said something along the lines of sooooo guess what I'm pregnant. She was like you're kidding (worried as I hadn't finished uni and we weren't married). After it sunk in she said when you tell your dad and other people you should say, "Guess what! I/we are having a baby!" In an excited way and be proud of it. So I did that and got a much better reaction. That would something id suggest good luck
    Sorry, double post, but I also very much agree with this. I cried when I told mum - I think I was just so scared - and she mentioned after that my crying was what worried her too. Go into it happily and positively and they'll probably react better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you can do what my hubby did, he texted my mum off my phone saying I had something to tell her but I was nervous and then when I got to talk on the phone to her she actually guessed, though before i talked to her she jokingly said pregnancy, or before you tell them you can say that you want to to say something but am nervous and you want them to let you finish talking before they talk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

I told my mum last night and she seemed to take it alright she told my dad for me and he said "ok". Now my mum is saying that i need to tell my granparents soon, and thats even harder. It was hard enough telling them about my first tattoo. They also live on the other side of aust so i have to ring them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im freaking about telling my brothers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm also a young(ish) mum to be, still finishing university and unmarried. It was also a surprise for me too (didn't even know until I was 16 weeks lol).
    I understand it is daunting telling people and to be honest I did feel a bit judged at first and I couldn't tell people without tearing up a bit (was in shock myself). Just always keep in your mind that people react to surprises differently and don't always convey the emotions they feel in the end- my grandparents went very quiet and it stressed me out because they are very traditional. But after they had some time to process it they were absolutely over the moon. Also remember that things these days are different- people dont see marriage etc as so important, and also remember that if they aren't going to support you then you probably shouldn't worry about it as you don't want those people in your life any way.
    I have found that being pregnant has completely changed my perspective about what is important in life. I was nervous about people judging me but now those things don't phase me in the slightest because it's just not what is important. What is important now is your new little family and that everybody is happy and healthy
    Good luck and congratulations