+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just wanted to say that's a really nice thing you are doing. I wish there were more ppl like you in this world I hope you find a solution for him so he can live out his days in harmony with Gizmo... the antidepressants the above poster mentioned sounds like it might be worth looking into.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aww you're such a lovely person!!
    This is one of those situations where you really wish you could just sit them down and explain things to them!! It's so tricky, if only you could tell them!!

I agree with pp, in don't bring him anywhere near the rspca, they do some good work, but an old cat, who doesn't like other cats, who needs dental work and who isn't desexed, well that's pretty much a death sentence there, they don't have the money to put into him also, if you do re home, please please don't put an add up anywhere, only go to a cat rescue who will actually foster him until they find a real good home for him, unfortunately, people will tell you anything to get a good breed who isn't desexed, then wombat would be in for a very rough life there are even breed specific rescues you could investigate, but again, ensure they aren't secretly kitty factory farms, it's such a huge business now, so heartbreaking.

Before rehoming, definitely try feliway, I used it for my cats, and it worked well, it might have it's work cut out for it with two males, but give it a shot, oh and it's much cheaper to buy it off eBay!

I totally agree with getting a second opinion in regards to desexing, it's really nice that your vet was honest with you about what they feel comfortable doing, that's really responsible. You may be able to find a vet that knows of some more modern techniques for working with older patients and would be comfortable working on wombat.

I love how he just wandered into your house like "yeah, this will do quite nicely"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mamaof4 it's really nice what your trying to do. I volunteer in dog rescue and we desex older dogs all the time and ones that need a dental. So it definitely can be done. Maybe get a seconds opinion. As mentioned previously there is antidepressants and other mood altering drugs and also natural therapy. If no good and you could speak to a rescue group about taking him. Please don't take him to the pound as at his age no matter how nice he is he will be out to sleep and with his temperament they wouldn't even think twice. Please don't consider 'Free to a good home' as you won't know if it's a good home and people that get pets this way have been known to sell for dog fight baiting and experiments (it's disgusting but happens all the time). If all else fails his life outside in a warm kennel is still much better than other alternatives. I wish there were more people like you who care for a stray cat the way you are. I hope it all works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely agree that you should ask about having a pre anaesthetic blood screen and if all comes back normal, go for the desex. Male cats are usually sedated not put under a GA for desex so talk to the vet about that as they might feel a GA would be a safer option (due to how the body metabolises the drugs).
    I've also recommend feliway (plug in) and think that's definitely worth a try. It can be expensive and while the box says to only use with its genuine diffuser, I've used it with the mortien plug in diffuser with no problems and have just bought the feliway refils from ebay.
    Just remember that either option isn't guaranteed to work as sometimes the behaviour does become part of the cats routine/'normal' behaviour for them so he might still I appropriately pee or go for your cat out of habit. I'd try both though because you don't want to end up with two highly strung cats that can't relax at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca85 View Post
    I completely agree that you should ask about having a pre anaesthetic blood screen and if all comes back normal, go for the desex. Male cats are usually sedated not put under a GA for desex so talk to the vet about that as they might feel a GA would be a safer option (due to how the body metabolises the drugs).
    I've also recommend feliway (plug in) and think that's definitely worth a try. It can be expensive and while the box says to only use with its genuine diffuser, I've used it with the mortien plug in diffuser with no problems and have just bought the feliway refils from ebay.
    Just remember that either option isn't guaranteed to work as sometimes the behaviour does become part of the cats routine/'normal' behaviour for them so he might still I appropriately pee or go for your cat out of habit. I'd try both though because you don't want to end up with two highly strung cats that can't relax at all.
    Becca all male cats should have a full general anaesthetic for desexing. Doing it under sedation is cruel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, you have all given me a lot to look into, thankyou!

We've always had rescue cats, and have never had a specific breed before. I'm so glad that I looked into this, as I never thought of people wanting him simply to breed him. The vet did say that even though he is a mix of two blues, he was still considered a pure bred. He looks exactly like a British Blue, but the Russian Blue in him has given him green eyes.

Initially our big worry was how he would react to DS when he was born, as Wombat is very protective of DH and myself. But I think he's been around babies at some point. If DS is lying on his playmat, Wombat sits himself next to him and lets DS kick him, or touch his fur. He purrs! If DS is on my lap being fed, Wombat jumps up and snuggles next to him. They have a mutual appreciation society going

Gizmo slinks around outside and sneaks to the door, and a gust of wind makes him run like mad. He's petrified! But when safely inside, he's a ratbag, and teases Wombat. He sits on the back of the couch, or on DD14s bed, both of which are in full view of Wombat. And gets a 'ner ner you can't get me' look going. He did it when DDs window was open the other day, and didn't bet on that. Wombat leaped and went flying at the window...straight into the flyscreen. Gizmo hid under the bed for the rest of the day

We'll make an appointment at a different vet for him. There is one who we went to after hours twice, once for our little bantam, who had been off her food. Sadly she had an incurable condition, so had to be put to sleep. The other time was for a stray cat we took in, who was very old and sick. They tried everything to save her, but her kidneys had failed. She was only with us for a couple of days, but they were wonderful and allowed us to hold her as she was put to sleep.

I think after reading everything, we don't really want to take the risk of re-homing him. I will get my aunt & uncle to keep an eye out with their friends, on the off chance that someone perfect crops up, but only via them. They are massively into animal welfare, and would only allow Wombat the best. They are heavily involved with Brightside Animal sanctuary here, and my cousin (now 17) rode 200 kms from Launceston to Hobart when she was 13, raising over $10,000 for them. They are wonderful people, and would take him in a second, but have a gorgeous, very big rescue greyhound! Very gentle, and is used to their pets, but really wants to taste our cats lol. That wouldn't be the best mix!

One thing I'm wondering however, is how does Feliway work? Is it designed to help just spraying, or does it affect their male behaviour?
    Gizmo is desexed, but still acts like a tom. Frankly, he's a tart lol. He loves, and I mean REALLY loves, DDs pillow pets. And her dressing gown, and her flanny pjs. I'll often be woken in the middle of the night by "Mummy! Gizmo is doing the rude thing to my arm!". I shouldn't laugh, but he seriously has issues lol. DH wants to film him and add a Barry White soundtrack
    He has no boy bits, yet is acting like a randy teenage boy. Sleepovers can be embarrasing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha I love the sound of Gizmo!