+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need advice on paint colour

I have decided to freshen up the house - I have carpets in the bedrooms only and terracotta tiles through the rest. I am going to paint, replace carpets and replace curtains with those roll up double blinds. I don't really like the terracotta tiles but the logistics of ripping them up are too hard. Any ideas of paint colours to go with terracotta? I would have liked greys but I doubt that would go. Also has anyone got those double roll up blinds? They seem like they will be much better than the curtains I have now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As boring as it sounds, I would stick with a light, neutral paint colour. We have hardwood timber floors throughout, which are a bit of a feature in themselves, and have gone with Dulux Hog Bristle 1/2 strength. One room has quite reddish coloured timber floors (obviously not quite the same as terracotta, but similar tones) and this colour goes perfectly in there (can post a pic if you like). Some other nice neutral dulux colours are Berkshire White (we have that in the kitchen) and Antique White USA. If you google 'terracotta floors' the best looking rooms are painted a light creamy colour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You coule always get tile paint. We have used it and it looks great. Just prep work has to be good.

I think white is great becauseyou can mix it up with accessories

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tile paint (unless it is an extremely durable urethane) won't be suitable for a 'long term' solution for your floor.

The Dulux white range is lovely (so many whites to choose from!)

Also terracotta goes well with Mexican themed colours - if you like brights?

The double roller blinds [one sheer, one block out] are great, we have them in a few rooms, awesome for allowing light in and having privacy at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would go a light grey on the walls - orange and grey are the colours of the season.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    DF is a painter so I can ask him for suggestions if you like.

I just thought I'd suggest instead of replacing the carpets have you thought about getting them cleaned and dyed? I've seen some amazing transformations doing that and it is much cheaper than buying new carpet.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone. i dont think painting tiles would be an option, they have black flecks and I dont think it would look good - I am hiring a painter for the job. Also the carpets have been cleaned and they just need replacing - everything is 18 years old. I will get a neutral colour but I wasnt sure what colour tint to have in it. The painter also suggested Hogs Bristle so great to hear it recommended again. I do only want a light neutral colour so thanks Decemberbubba - Im off to google that other colour you mentioned- a photo would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have terracotta tiles downstairs and we're repainting the whole house (very slowly!). We've used Scallywag as the main colour - I think it's dulux. We also have some other darker colours as feature walls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do what the previous owners of this house did and use apricot....its disgusting.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Another vote for Antique White USA - we have used that so many times, half strength, full strength, it always looks

If you like gray, I think half strength Taubmans White Smoke might work too. It looks cream on the sample sheets, but is actually light light gray on the wall.