+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    So sad. Although it doesn't state her cause if death, I imagine she was another victim of depression. Such a tragedy and really illustrates how indiscriminative the illness is and the power it has to rob people (that seemingly have it all, beauty and successful career) of their self worth.
    The article I read said she took her own life. Also had quotes from friends saying she'd been in a bad shape for the last few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by samilia View Post
    In saying that though, why didn't she just get off the computer, close her account, shut down the computer or block people? It just seems strange that she would continue to read the troll comments.

Most trolls are teenagers too that really are little ****s and things they say should be disregarded because they are only kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at her actions or how she delt with her problems,, but Even when she had an interview with 60 minutes, they said to her "Charlotte, why don't you just stopping reading the comments and you won't be upset by them" and she really had no answer, she couldn't help but read them. It's almost like she wanted to hear it all.

Again, im not picking at her and I too am very saddened by this.. There just a lot of missing pieces that just don't make sense.

I got bullied my WHOLE school life. I had msn and that was a way of being bullied back then. I ended up blocking my bullies. My mum always said why go on looking for trouble (her words to me).

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1- 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 28.03.11 💜
    Because not everybody is strong enough to do that. It just really is not that simple, to just turn it off, especially for her, being in the public eye.

I am now. I am proud of my ability now to switch off when I am being bullied. But rewind 12 years when I was in year 11 at school, with serious self esteem and self worth issues, I couldnt. And for me, I was lucky, if it wasnt for my mum I don't think I would be here today.

I really think it's simplifying the issue to say she should have just switched off.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (24-02-2014),Jenga  (23-02-2014),ozeymumof5  (23-02-2014),Purple Lily  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is really sad and I don't understand how people can be so nasty.

In saying that though, why didn't she just get off the computer, close her account, shut down the computer or block people? It just seems strange that she would continue to read the troll comments.

Most trolls are teenagers too that really are little ****s and things they say should be disregarded because they are only kids.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig at her actions or how she delt with her problems,, but Even when she had an interview with 60 minutes, they said to her "Charlotte, why don't you just stopping reading the comments and you won't be upset by them" and she really had no answer, she couldn't help but read them. It's almost like she wanted to hear it all.

Again, im not picking at her and I too am very saddened by this.. There just a lot of missing pieces that just don't make sense.

I got bullied my WHOLE school life. I had msn and that was a way of being bullied back then. I ended up blocking my bullies. My mum always said why go on looking for trouble (her words to me).

Me 25 ������ DH 29
    ������������DD #1- 30.11.08 ������
    ������������DD #2 28.03.11 ������
    She shouldn't have to take responsibility for other people bullying and harassing her. I know what you're saying but at the same time, it doesn't make sense to blame the victim. "Why did she wear a short dress?"- "Why did she stay with him?"- "Why did she not just get off the computer"- do you see? It doesn't matter where she was- online or irl- she did not deserve to be treated as she was and although I don't think the bullying she faced was the cause of her death, ultimately it cannot be overlooked that it was a contributing factor to the unhappiness of an already depressed and unwell lady.
    I applaud her efforts at trying to bring it to the attention of the media and taking a firm stand with it. When it all broke I admit- I didn't really "get" what she was trying to do but on reflection- it was very brave. I hope her family and friends can take comfort in reflecting on her strength and courage.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (24-02-2014),Jenga  (23-02-2014),jesssalee  (23-02-2014),Lauzy  (23-02-2014),ozeymumof5  (23-02-2014),Purple Lily  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Poor Charlotte

The pain must have been too immense to carry on. How sad it is that her world had become too much to bear.

Shame on those who thought it was fun to bully her. I don't know how these trolls sleep at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just FYI for those wondering why it isn't reported that she committed suicide. News outlets are not actually meant/allowed to report on suicides. This is because it can give others ideas on taking their own life. Things have changed somewhat on how they report on these situations and it's more common to be able to read between the lines and some news outlets will break the rules but mostly they will talk about depression etc.
    I have always respected news outlets in this regard. It's painful enough for the family.
    Also, if you know much about Charlottes life, you will know that she had a long battle with depression before the cyber bullies. She has been a victim of sexual abuse, a failed volatile marriage and countless other demons. Simply turning off her computer wouldn't have helped what she was going through. RIP

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (23-02-2014),Me&Smooches  (23-02-2014),Purple Lily  (23-02-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    I don't understand internet bullies or trolls either, what on earth do they get out of spewing venom to another person via the internet???

I just don't get it!
    I don't get how people let these bullies affect them this way.
    Obviously Charlotte had depression issues to begin with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is really sad and I don't understand how people can be so nasty.

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1- 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 28.03.11 💜
    What a horrible comment to make about someone who has just died. I suppose it's easy for you to say "why didn't she just turn off her computer" but none of us have been bullies to the extent Charlotte was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    This is basically the same as saying kids shouldn't be affected by bullies. Some people are strong enough to ignore it some aren't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    This is basically the same as saying kids shouldn't be affected by bullies. Some people are strong enough to ignore it some aren't.

It's also the unrelenting nature of bullying too. If people are constantly telling you your worthless there is only so much you can take before you start questioning yourself. Bullying breaks you down and the problem with cyber bullying is it happens in what should be a safe place (your home).

Charlotte should have been able to enjoy her social media platforms and she used them for good. I hate to think of the dread she felt when she saw the new messages from the trolls that belittled her and went so far as to wish her dead. I think it would break the strongest person.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (23-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    You are posting from the pov of a confident mentally well person, not everybody is as fortunate as that.
    Last edited by Mokeybear; 23-02-2014 at 11:43.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (24-02-2014),IvyRain  (23-02-2014),Me&Smooches  (23-02-2014),Purple Lily  (23-02-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast