+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand/remember not wanting to get changed in an open area as a youngster. Even now the change rooms at pools and gyms give me the heebie jeebies.

These robes are great. They are a towel that you can get changed under discretely. They were originally designed for/by surfers to get in and out of wetsuits at the beach, so plenty of coverage for drying off and changing with privacy. Much better coverage than a normal hooded towel.
    http://www.robierobes.com/
    If it's not ok to post a link, just google "robie robes". They have a web page.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Good grief, I'm glad I'm not a teacher who has to deal with parents who pander to their child's every little complaint. There is a real world out there that we all have to learn to deal with, and I find the skill of getting dressed/undressed discreetly a very useful one, learnt during these exact situations in primary school...
    Jesus, theres a big difference between a child saying "I'm not eating any yellow food today" and "I don't wish to get naked in front of a room full of people".

I hate that people think that children shouldn't have autonomy over their bodies, they're allowed to say no to adults in regards to what does and doesn't feel safe, they can chose not to take their clothes off if they don't want to, they can speak up when they feel uncomfortable, the fact that adults don't see this and think they should just shut up and do what their told is pathetic.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (22-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (22-02-2014),VanityFey  (22-02-2014)

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    Jesus, theres a big difference between a child saying "I'm not eating any yellow food today" and "I don't wish to get naked in front of a room full of people".

I hate that people think that children shouldn't have autonomy over their bodies, they're allowed to say no to adults in regards to what does and doesn't feel safe, they can chose not to take their clothes off if they don't want to, they can speak up when they feel uncomfortable, the fact that adults don't see this and think they should just shut up and do what their told is pathetic.
    Well said!!

I have worked in preschools for years where the toilets are very open and often have big windows into them. Yes there is an element of importance to this - us ensuring child safety, but I have often had children who have had accidents because other people were in the bathroom and they didn't want to go with others in there. I've also had other children get upset when parents have gone into the bathroom to look for their childs hat or something. I don't think that it is pandering to respect a child's right to privacy.

I am a big believer in children dealing with the realities of life and in no way cotton-wool or pander to my children or children I have taught, but I do always respect their rights

In regards to the issue of children having privacy when changing in a public space, article 16 of the un convention on the rights of the child says that all children have the right to privacy. Simple really
    Last edited by Eco Goddess; 22-02-2014 at 05:23.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eco Goddess For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (22-02-2014),DaenerysT  (22-02-2014)