+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a parent is be quite happy for my child to miss out on "learning time" if it meant they had time I wash of the harmful pool chemicals and change as they felt comfortable. Many pools have showers on the pool deck, I'd be happy with it just being a production line of showering in their bathers on their way to change, then allowing them into cubicles if they wanted to.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Fiery  (21-02-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (21-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not saying that the way the teacher may have spoken was okay. . but I have to wonder how many parents here have taken 25 or 30 children to swimming lessons. Omg... as a teacher I have to say its one of the most stressful days and it's not just the actual swimming time. It starts at the beginning of the day. . the kids are excited about swimming. .. then swimming. . then back to school to try and do some school work. Honestly. .. its a write off.
    I've taken 28 kids to swimming lessons. .. the boys and girls would get changed in separate classrooms at school. . and yes they would travel back from swimming wet.
    In the case of a child having eczema or something they could shower and an aide, if I was lucky enough to have one, would assist.
    Please don't judge the teachers actions until you've walked a mile in her shoes. At least all the children were returned to school safe and sound!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

babyla  (21-02-2014),cooper82  (22-02-2014),Renn  (21-02-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay, given the added details, and again giving her the benefit of the doubt...

It sounds like at best, she was having a bad mood and she didn't think about how the girls may have felt. My suggestion would be to go to the school, ask to speak to the principal, and politely let them know your concerns. A good principal will both be knowledgeable about children's psychological development, and will care about student welfare. They should let the teacher know their expectations.

With regard to changing though, I don't think we were ever allowed to use cubicles when doing school swimming at a public pool. There's no WAY I would have gotten naked in front of my peers at school, but I knew how to get dressed using a towel/clothes so that I didn't expose anything. It never bothered me in the slightest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Please don't judge the teachers actions until you've walked a mile in her shoes. At least all the children were returned to school safe and sound!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Absolutely agree with this! As a teacher, you're constantly trying to assess what decisions are likely to lead to the best outcomes. Often, there are no perfect scenarios, but you've got to choose what you think will be best for all the parties (students, staff, parents, public) involved. You can't get everything perfect. For every parent who thinks that kids should be allowed to shower, there's another who will complain about having to pick kids up late; losing learning time; missing music lessons; missing the bus home etc. etc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (22-02-2014),Tamtam  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meh ... Our school makes them comes home in their swimmers and get changed at school. Honestly though I would be having students avoid the cubicles too - considering there are two cubicles and 26+ kids in a class. It has more to do with bus time constraints than missing learning in our case.

Thankfully we don't have whinging parents complaining about it - and to be honest .... I don't like the idea of being in charge of my class in change rooms that the public can also access with half in the male and half in the female,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh whinging parents, that's a bit harsh! The fact is if be happy for our kids not to do lessons at all, probably 75-90% of the kids in our school do private swimming lessons, so the school ones are at best a bit of fun, and at worst a waste of time, with 7-10 kids per instructor and none of them in a level that suits their needs till half way through the term, and those who swim elsewhere getting confused by different methods and falling backward.
    We send ours every year and dutifully pay the fee, so that those kids whose parents cannot do private lessons can access some swimming experience. Bit I would be much happier if we were given options such as gymnastics, dance or swim, so that the kids would all travel together to our local gym, then get to do something that would be useful and not a waste of time. The teachers also would have less stress then as the whole chafe room debacle would only involve some kids not all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Can't you teach the kids how to get changed under their clothes? We would have been able to do it by the time we were old enough to be at all conscious about our bodies.

T-shirt on over bathers (head only but pull down over body)
    Slip bathers off arms and pull down to waist
    Arms through t-shirt sleeves (or bra/crop top on first)
    Skirt on (or towel around waist if they wear skorts or shorts)
    Pull down bathers
    Pull up knickers

Voila!
    Totally this! I learnt this skill early. You can completely change from bathers to clothes without revealing anything - so easy!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good grief, I'm glad I'm not a teacher who has to deal with parents who pander to their child's every little complaint. There is a real world out there that we all have to learn to deal with, and I find the skill of getting dressed/undressed discreetly a very useful one, learnt during these exact situations in primary school...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dub For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (22-02-2014),FearlessLeader  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Good grief, I'm glad I'm not a teacher who has to deal with parents who pander to their child's every little complaint. There is a real world out there that we all have to learn to deal with, and I find the skill of getting dressed/undressed discreetly a very useful one, learnt during these exact situations in primary school...
    I am glad your not my kids teacher.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (21-02-2014),BbBbBh  (22-02-2014),DaenerysT  (22-02-2014),HarvestMoon  (21-02-2014),Jenga  (21-02-2014),just her chameleon  (21-02-2014),MeeG  (22-02-2014),twotrunks  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Totally this! I learnt this skill early. You can completely change from bathers to clothes without revealing anything - so easy!
    Yep, 6 years at boarding school and I can change into/out off just about anything without revealing a thing. Still a useful skill in the gym change rooms.