+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we did swimming at school we had a cold pool, travelled back to school in wet swimmers and up until about yr 3 had to all change together in our classroom - boys and girls together.

I remember being in yr 2 and changing into my undies under my desk.

I still hate going back to that pool even now. School swim lessons totally sucked,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep another traumatised kid here too. I was such a good girl but By the end I choose detention every week by not brining my swimmers over swimming lessons. I was so cold, the pools weren't heated and we had to change back at school and I got terrible headaches from the smell of chorine in my hair. Still can't swim now either. I couldn't stand going near a pool.

Edit: if dd has to endure what I had to I will be excusing her from the lessons and I'll pay to have her tutored privately at a heated pool in private. I think it's so cruel.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 21-02-2014 at 11:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do swimming lessons at the local pool, same deal there.

I think part of it is because they are on such a tight schedule, and they bombard the change rooms they are supposed to leave the cubicles for the public.

Our school pool was freezing! And on primary school the change rooms were an open room, high school had some cubicles but no doors or curtains.

It's just not practice getting and entire class or two through in such a short period of time, otherwise the swimming time would be considerably less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *shudder* Another traumatised hubber here. I was an early bloomer, so to be doing school swimming and getting changed with peers was pure embarrassment and trauma. If my daughter doesn't want to do swimming with the school I won't force her.

ETA I also went to one school camp and that was just as bad. The girls were made to undress in the cabins, walk to the showers with just a towel wrapped around us and had to walk past the boys, then drop our towel in the bathroom as we lined up to use the only shower there. Just horrible
    Last edited by babyblu11; 21-02-2014 at 12:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The no showers thing would have been because of time constraints.

On the no cubicle thing, well, I have a few opinions about that.

1. was the pool still open to the public? When I was in school and now my children, if swimming lessons were done at a public pool, the pool was still open to the public as well, so why should all the toilet cubicles be taken up by children getting changed? I HATE going to the pool when a school is there because if I or my children need to go to the toilet, we rarely can because they're always full of girls hiding in there to get changed, it's really, really frustrating!

2. If it's not a public pool, then, well, really, who cares if they want to get changed in a cubicle if it's not going to be holding anyone up.

3. I'm all for normalising our bodies. People shouldn't be embarrassed about getting naked, in a change room, with other girls/women around to get changed. Because, well, we are all females, we are all beautiful, and we all have the same body parts. There should be no shame or embarrassment in it, and the sooner we teach our children that, the better!

So, there you have it, my three conflicting opinions

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

debsch  (21-02-2014),gnomesy  (21-02-2014),HowCrazyCool  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see this being a problem with me if it happens for my son. He has an Asian boy who he is friends with in his class. Im guessing its the way he is raised but this kid find anything to do with being naked hilarious. He went around with a book one morning showing everyone this picture of a little cartoon girl in her knickers laughing and poiting. My son just didn't understand what was so funny. I said "just like us all the time at home, half naked" this boy went wide eyed lol My son drew a big picture with all his friends and took it in to show (stick figures) this boy made a huge point saying everyone is naked and laughed his head off.
    I hate the thought of him being there at swimming when they all have to change. My son hates being laughed at and I know this kid is going to make a deal out of it if forced to change all together

Thanks
    Reviews
    And quite honestly. I don't care if they are on a tight schedule, they should have more respect for children then to force them to be naked in front of other people. By this age they are old enough to get dressed themselves and don't need to feel obligated to show their PRIVATE parts to everyone. same sex rooms or not, children these days are raised to know when privacy is needed and should have the choice

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

MeeG  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I hate it and won't allow our schools to do it. I told the school I would not allow my child to get dressed or undressed in a Public area. They were to always use a private area.

I had to do in writing and list my reasons why. Never had a problem since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi fiery, I agree with you, the girls should have been allowed to use a cubicle if they wanted to, but perhaps there is a time factor, or perhaps the management has given a request for the school children to not use the cubicles if there are other people waiting to use them. kinda like school kids should stand on a bus so adults can sit. I also agree with washing off the cholorine. surely a quick 30 secs under the running shower would be ok. Nothing much any one can do about it though. Marie.
    I was just about to write something similar. Teachers are very conscious of time, how little they have to get from one thing to another because *so* much is crammed into the school day now. Also, I remember the same rule applied when I (as a teacher) took groups swimming - they were not allowed to use the toilet cubicles unless they needed to use the loo - and the reason given was to keep the loos free for members of the public.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Renn  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There simply is not enough time for all children to shower. There are probably not enough cubicles for everyone to get changed in either.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (21-02-2014)