+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Disappointed and shocked!!

-
    Last edited by Fiery; 11-03-2014 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was a bit miffed at what they did for swimming at my DD1's school last year.

The kindy kids got changed into swimmers at school (boys in one classroom, girls in the other) then travelled by bus to the pool a half hour away.
    Did swimming then travelled wrapped in towels back to school to change back into school uniform. Poor kids were shivering all the way back to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Being a little girl I would have wanted to get changed in a cubicle - I remember being on an excursion in year 4 and our 'room mum' wouldn't let me go and have a shower by myself - she stripped my clothes off in the open then sent me in - I was so embarrassed. Perhaps her own daughter needed help, but my mum hadn't helped me do all those things for years!

From the point of view of the teacher, and having been a teacher - I would have got changed in a cubicle as I really don't think the girls need to see that. As their teacher I think it is a good idea to keep clear boundaries. There's no way I would stop them getting changed in a cubicle - if they were misbehaving then consequences would have to come in a different form, ie. sit down during some of play time, message to parents, etc.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi fiery, I agree with you, the girls should have been allowed to use a cubicle if they wanted to, but perhaps there is a time factor, or perhaps the management has given a request for the school children to not use the cubicles if there are other people waiting to use them. kinda like school kids should stand on a bus so adults can sit. I also agree with washing off the cholorine. surely a quick 30 secs under the running shower would be ok. Nothing much any one can do about it though. Marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    I was a bit miffed at what they did for swimming at my DD1's school last year.

The kindy kids got changed into swimmers at school (boys in one classroom, girls in the other) then travelled by bus to the pool a half hour away.
    Did swimming then travelled wrapped in towels back to school to change back into school uniform. Poor kids were shivering all the way back to school.
    Our kids used to do this, but it was a heated pool and the middle of summer...and a 5 min trip. It was peace of mind knowing that they wouldn't be approached by inappropriate strangers in the change rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It was like that when I was in primary school. We had a pool at the school and had to get changed in the very open change room with a teacher or 2 watching on. We were always instructed not to use the toilets to get changed. The male PE teacher stood at the door yelling that he would be coming in if we weren't all out within a minute. Last person out always had to pick up rubbish at lunch too... so not a very pleasant experience even back then. I was very self conscience by late primary school so I use to opt for detention as opposed to swimming lessons.

DS doesn't do swimming often through school but when he does, he wears his swimmers underneath his school clothes. I'm not sure how he goes about getting changed on the way back. He has never made mention of it so he must not be too bothered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    At my children's school the lower year levels all do this. As they get older they change in the toilets at school - not at the pool.

Time is a huge factor with the swimming lessons, bus normally drops one year level off while picking up the ones that have just finished swimming - no time for showers.

The change rooms at the pools we use (for personal use and the one the school uses) both have signs up stating the toilets are not for getting changed in. There is no option but to get changed in the open change room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hated swimming for this reason! We had a pool at our school & it only had two cubicles and it was always a rush to see who could get there first.

The amount of times I "forgot" my swimmers so I wouldn't have to change in front of the other girls & ended in the stands writing lines. " remembering my togs makes me a more responsible person".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember this being the way at school. We would hold a towel up for one another and take it in turns in pairs to get dressed. Our pool didn't have cubicles for changing so we just did the best we could.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lala77 For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was normal when I did swimming as a kid at school too.

If everyone had showers and took it in turns to change it would be 30-45min extra for a cohort of girls/boys. That makes it a very short learning day at school.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.