+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler finger food dinners

So my 22 month old will not eat anything that isn't what I consider "finger food" anything I seem to cook for dinner or lunch gets thrown on the floor - he would much rather eat a sandwich.

I'm looking for suggestions on healthy dinner options! Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 3 kids always love a plate of "salad"- tin corn, frozen peas (cooked), carrot and celery stick with a dollop of hommus, some strips of ham and some cheese cubes. Basically whatever I have in the fridge! Easy to prepare, healthy and balanced and they'll eat it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is 22 months too and although she eats messy foods (even soup!) I always try to keep those for dinner as bath time is next. I'm always on the look out for non messy finger food for lunch.
    Some of my favs are: mini meatballs (which I pack full of grated veggies). Savory pikelets, mini calzones, omelette, cheese and vegetable sticks with dip, Vegemite and cheese or pizza scrolls, chicken drumsticks.
    cant think of anymore atm.
    But honestly if he eats a hot dinner I think a sandwich is ok for lunch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

JesskaMay  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chops with handles, veggie ribbons done with a peeler, veg roasted in batons, grilled chicken tenderloin, maybe have a look a blw recipes as they are based on finger food

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am with ciaomamma- you can put anything in a meatball and make it fabulous- lamb and apple, beef and middleeastern spices with yoghurt dip, pork with coriander and capsicum- the list goes on. Cook up and batch and freeze in bunches of 4 so you always have some on hand. Another good one is grilled fish, either crumbed or not, which is nice and soft. Omlettes with veges grated in with cheese and cut into strips.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

JesskaMay  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys I don't mind giving him sandwiches except for the fact that he isn't eating many veges!
    He loves fruit, he eats about half punnet of strawberries and a banana every day and if I didn't say no he'd keep going! He loves cheese too which is great but yeh just looking for more ways to be able to give him a hot dinner packed full of goodness! Thanks for your suggestions! I have some good ideas to go off now

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JesskaMay View Post
    Thanks guys I don't mind giving him sandwiches except for the fact that he isn't eating many veges!
    He loves fruit, he eats about half punnet of strawberries and a banana every day and if I didn't say no he'd keep going! He loves cheese too which is great but yeh just looking for more ways to be able to give him a hot dinner packed full of goodness! Thanks for your suggestions! I have some good ideas to go off now
    I make these yummy sausage rolls for ds1 and ds2 - I use mince plus about 5 different veggies.
    Usually pumpkin, zucchini, carrot, mushrooms and onion
    Or whatever is in the fridge - anything works
    Mush it all together in food processor with an egg and breadcrumbs.
    Roll into sausage rolls with puff pastry and cook in the oven.
    I then freeze them and reheat in the oven. Easy quick lunch or dinner packed full of goodness.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

debsch  (21-02-2014),JesskaMay  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to do salad plates too

I also made some chicken & veggie Patsy's they were a big hit. Basically mashed sweet potato, corn, peas, chicken, garlic (butter I think) all mixed together & folded into Patsy's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mini pizzas - I always put chia seeds in the dough and try for 3-4 veggies like spinach/capsicum/ tomato/mushrooms/olives/fresh herbs/red onion

Falafel - very healthy vegetarian option , I make kebab wraps with tabouli and tzatiki in pita bread , toast it and cut in half - easy to hold

Frittata - potato and veggies - cut into wedges

Fish cakes - I also add veggies like corn, peas , herbs and chia seeds - use salmon or any white fish or even tin tuna if you can't get fresh fish

Crumbed fish - flat head tails are the best or chicken snitzel

Turkey or chicken nuggets - I try add 5 veggies ( peas/corn/fresh herbs/garlic/carrot)

Zucchini slice - I add a few veggies as well, I make in muffin tins , easy to hold and freeze well

Salmon sausage rolls - make the same as normal ones but just mince salmon and add grated veggies and herbs

Veggie patties ( we use these as veggie burger patties) just put a tin of lentils, 1/2 cup corn, cup of broad beans, coriander and garlic in food processor and blitz , mould into mini patties and shallow fry

Mini chicken drumettes ( or DS used to call them chicken lollipops!) I crumb them with a cornflake/cheese/ chia/ spinach crumb and oven bake or you could do honey/ soy

Tacos - yes they can become messy but are technically finger food ! I do fish ( usually barramundi) tacos with fresh guacamole, cheese , tomato and lettuce ( this is 3yo DS fav meal! he eats 3!)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (21-02-2014),olismumma  (21-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All the above! Plus steamed veggie cut in cubes (sweet potato, carrot, broccoli) topped with a bit of grated cheese.

I also put a few grapes or banana chunks in, sometimes tricks her into thinking the whole plate is yummy fruit!