+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low motility, I've been told. Not sure, however...

Hi all,

I will state facts up front for ease of readability. Hope format is ok!

*Male: 35 years, healthy.
    *Female: 32 years, healthy. Hormone blood test checked out OK.
    *Irregular menstrual cycle; last one was 46 days, before that 42, Before that 28. No period for 9 months prior (after stopping the pill).
    * Sperm Test - 2.2 Millionl/ml. The doctor said sperm exhibited 'low motility'.

We have moved to the Netherlands (for 2 years, wife is on secondment) and the medical system here is quite different and very frustrating. They take a non interventionist approach to health issues. Had to press for a sperm test and the only info I have (besides a print out of the sperm test, in Dutch) is what the Doc told me: "Low sperm motility. The sperm is there, but it cannot swim." Everything on the test is within range, except for

'Func. sperma conc: 2.2 <13/-"

I assume this is 2.2 million/ml... He wouldn't tell me anything else. I have to take another sperm test before he will refer me to a Urologist, which he said will take months before I can get an appointment.

They will not provide a referral to a fertility doctor unless we have been trying for 1.5 years.

I do not know what to do. I am going to start Vitamins (Selenium, Vitc, B12, Zinc, Vit-E, Q-10, L-Carnitine) & slow down on the booze.

We are very frightened because the access to healthcare here is terrible. We are afraid that my dodgy sperm will delay any chances we have had and the doctors don't tell you anything. I don;t even really know what is exactly wrong with them! Motility, number, shape?? I asked but he just gave me a print out, despite my requests for more info. The language barrier doesn't help, but fortunately the Dutch are excellent at English.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all kindly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry to hear of your problems.

We had similar problems a while ago.
    DH had several sperms tests resulting in 0 sperm.

We looked at his diet which was erratic to say the least. He decided to go vegan for a month so only vegetables and salads fruit and nuts. Cut out soft drink coffee and alcohol.

Went back and sperm count was 50 million but only 2% normal wad told may need IVF.

Continued with diet for a little longer and now I am pregnant unexpectedly.

I definitely think it was down to diet. No preservatives, no artifical sugars. Was completely clean eating.

I hope that this may give you a a little hope in a dark time.

Good luck and may you be blessed with all things good.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gold coast mumma View Post
    I am sorry to hear of your problems.

Continued with diet for a little longer and now I am pregnant unexpectedly.

I definitely think it was down to diet. No preservatives, no artifical sugars. Was completely clean eating.

I hope that this may give you a a little hope in a dark time.

Good luck and may you be blessed with all things good.

Thank you for your post. It has inspired me, going to cut out alcohol and make some changes to my diet, including regular eating patterns (always skip breakfast). I have also ordered a bunch of vitamins.

And congratulations on your pregnancy. That is great news for you and probably even more so because you expected much difficulty. :-)

Thank you again.

Also, I have to go back for a second sperm test and I was thinking I'd wait until the vitamins have 'kicked in'.. maybe a week or so. Is this a bad idea? May take months before sperm is affected by dietary/vitamins?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely wait until they have had a chance to work. Usually min 2 weeks. Take a good look at what your eating and drinking it certainly cant hurt.
    It is amazing the way our bodies react to artifical preservatives. I truly believe that changing these can make a difference.
    Have you had testosterone checked as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing I tried that month only was after sex putting my legs up with pillows under me for 30 mins. Too much info I know but wanted to give the sperm the best chance so helping with gravity cant hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi gold coast mumma,

Thanks so much for your replies.

I haven;t had my testosterone levels checked. Went to the docs and asked specifically for that today, but she wouldn't give me a referral for a blood test. She said the urologist may do that.

On another note, my wofe was diagnosed with PCOS yesterday! She was tested a decade ago, and the result was negative, but it came back +ve here in the NL.

I assume this will make natural conception almost impossible. The doc said that we will likely need IVF, but I don't trust her opinion very much. She may be right, though. We have since made an appointment with a Gynae, just have to wait until early April for an appointment.

Thanks again. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi my DH and I just found out he has low motility 2 days ago. They told us he had abstained for too long before the test, you should only abstain 2-3 days and likewise you should abstain at least 2-3 days. We are having another test in 2 weeks. They suggested he take menevit also. Cutting out the booze is a good idea too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am really sorry to hear that. You poor guys. I dont know a lot about PCOS. An old friend had it and her issues were her weight and hormone imbalance. These issues did correct themselves over time with hormone therapy and weight loss and they used clomid to assist ovulation.

Please keep me updated I know how hard it can be and sometimes it is nice to have someone you have never met to talk to can make the strain easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fingers crossed babyla that the next test comes back better. Do you know what the numbers were?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure exactly, they spoke to DH and he's not one for detail. I'll try to find out today and post again this arvo.., I'm interested in finding out..