+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livvyloo View Post
    Hmmmm I'm 52kg so not exactly massive. Makes me nervous to think it might be too big a dose for my body weight
    I'm 47kg and 10mg is still considered a low dose I was told, the 25mg was considered high and 15mg medium dose.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Prednisolone fears

I was 58kg when I went on it (25mg)and am 164cm tall, I ended up losing weight! I really think it depends on the individual person and their lifestyle how it effects them
    Last edited by LittleGumnut; 20-02-2014 at 19:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi liivy

I was on 20mg for 4 weeks then dropped to 10mg for 12 weeks. I didnt have negative sideeffects in fact the best one I had was no hayfever. The Dr will wean you off gradually. Weight gain is often an issue with higher doses. My FS advice was healthy eating with some activity eg walking

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really appreciate your responses guys.. This is all so new to me since we didn't do this immuno stuff last time we did ivf. Trying naturally is also daunting mainly because it's such a foreign concept to me lol. If it doesn't happen naturally tho we'll have to think about IVF a bit harder i guess.

I find this whole prednisolone thing really scary. Google of course doesn't help. I guess there's just this big part of me that fears I'm going to make my situation worse by going on some random drug :\ and the word steroid is very daunting. It sounds like you ladies have survived it tho which is heartening. I'm healthy and active so I can only hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. If anyone else can share experiences with prednisone then it'd be most welcome. The more stories that make me less scared the better haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Livvyloo,

I have experience with prednisilone however not for conceiving. I had to take it for a couple of months for a crohns flare at the end of last year. I am also small (50kg) and I was started on 40mg per day - now that is a lot! At 15mg, I would think any symptoms would be fairly mild. The worst I had was insomnia, however this subsided after I dropped to under 20mg. I never got the moonface/weight gain, I did have some unpleasant side effects however I was on a starting dose more than double yours, and every time I dropped the side effects were better and easier to manage. Once I got down to 15mg, 10mg etc I had almost no side effects or they were very mild and easy to manage.

Step away from google and don't let the internet scare you - most of the scarier symptoms are for far higher doses for longer time like I had to take it, and I am still here! I think you will be able to manage it, and if you have any concerns at all, speak to your dr straight away

Good luck with your ttc journey, I hope you have your little bundle very soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much - I can't tell you how reassuring this has been for me. You're so right, I really need to step away from google haha. I'm a bit of a fiend for knowledge and it's often not helpful in doing anything but worry me further. You'd think I'd learn, but nope! Lol. I guess all I can do is wait and see. I kinda wish I was on 10mg not 15mg but I have to just trust the dr and hope for the best i guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll be fine! Like I said, if you have any side effects, they should be fairly mild and easy to manage. And if you are worried at any point I am certain your dr and nurse will be willing to alleviate any fears. I am the same as you googling side effects etc, but at the end of the day I had no choice but to take them, and I got through it, you will too.

The only recommendation I have is to take them early in the morning in case insomnia is an issue, however for me under 20mg this wasn't a problem anymore, so you might not even need to worry about that! Also as soon as you are weaned off them, any side effects disappear virtually instantly. The dr has recommended 15mg for a reason, trust his judgement, and you will be weaned down so you may not be on 15mg all that long anyway.

You'll be fine if it helps you get your baby, the side effects are worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're so right - ill do anything to have another baby at this point and hoping for no more miscarriages

I'm two days into taking it now, I've been taking it at about 7am ... Really appreciate that advice from you ladies. Last night I was exhausted and slept like a baby so here's hoping the insomnia side won't be an issue. I can only hope!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone know of prednisone affecting ovulation even on a low dose? I ovulate fine but just worried that it might stop ovulation ?