+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Prednisolone fears

Hi ladies - hope this is an area on the board to post this...as I know lots of ivf'ers have prednisolone in their protocol.

After a miscarriage and then 2 chemicals in a row (all natural conception) and lots of tests by my FS..Ive just been been told my NK cell results were right on the borderline of high and normal. Definitely not super high but just ever so slightly out of the normal range. I also had a BT showing my ANA was a bit borderline too (again only ever so slightly out of the normal range) so another potential immunology issue... I've been prescribed prednisolone. We are trying naturally but on a monitored cycle where they will track my ovulation and I've been prescribed a dose of 15mg per day. I feel very anxious after reading online about pred side effects even tho the nurse saidto me it's unlikely to happen on such a low dose. Just curious to know what others experiences with prednisolone are ? I'm super worried about the moon face and weight gain (as vain as that is I work hard to stay fit and healthy and looking good ). Thanks so much in advance
    Last edited by Livvyloo; 20-02-2014 at 14:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi livvyloo

I had two miscarriages while going through many ivf cycles, after the second miscarriage my FS decided to add prednisone to my protocol. Like you I was terrified of the side effects.
    I began on 10mg of predniaone and it was gradually upped to 25mg. I fell pregnant with twins, I did lose one but I now have my beautiful four month old son and truly believe the prednisone helped.
    I stayed on the pred till 12 weeks where I then began to VERY so slowly wean off it, was completely off by about 15 weeks. It is extremely important to wean off slowly as it can destroy your adrenal glands which can lead to all sorta of problems. Even if your fs doesn't tell you to wean off slowly I still would as some fs's aren't fully educated in this medication.
    As for side effects I was very lucky and had minimal effects. I actually lost weight while on it and I took the tablets at 6am every morning so as early as possible to avoid insomina , definitely don't take them in the night as they do wake you right up.
    If you have a very healthy diet you should be fine with avoiding weight issues etc. I think the people that run into trouble are the ones who gave diets high in carbs and don't exercise much. While I was researching it said to have a low carb diet while on prednisone, obviously not a good idea if you're pregnant but so long as your diet is well balanced I think you'll be fine, I was!
    The only real side effects I got was when weaning off I was quiet moody but that could have also been pregnancy!

Hope this helps and good luck xxx

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those side effects are usually at much higher doses and generally long term use as well, so I think you will be fine.

The only side effect I experienced on pred was extra hair growth on my face - I got light fluffy sideburns. Once I was weaned off by 16 weeks pregnant that subsided though.

I didn't gain any weight because of the pred and that was with very little exercise and eating quite a bit of carbs during my 1st tri because I could barely stomach much else. I had actually lost 5kgs before starting my ivf cycle and I was about 20 weeks along before I'd gained that again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on pred 10mg per day for the first 12 weeks & no side effects whatsoever. I think it made all the difference after the first 2 cycles didn't take. As the above posts have said, follow your weaning schedule & taper off slowly. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies - it's very heartening to hear something other than the horror stories of humps on necks and thickness through the mid section and moon faces. I wonder if I've been reading arthritis or autoimmune disease threads where people are on higher doses and that's why the side effects are so bad.

My my fs was very specific about weaning off rather than just stopping taking them do it's reassuring to see she's giving good advice.

i had IVF in 2011 and now have healthy twins but I never had immune tests back then as I'd only had one chemical before conceiving twins they IVF so I wasn't on pred or any other additional drugs. It's only since then and having miscarriages after natural conceptions that we've looked into the immunology.

i do have a healthy diet and exercise regularly so hopefully that helps keep weight gain at bay. Low carbs is good advice I'll do that. I couldn't care least gaining weight if I was actually pregnant but gaining even if I'm not would suck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on 10 mg of pred too and experienced no side effects. Like the others have said take it in the morning. And my fs started to wean me off after my 7 week scan. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a fairly standard drug to be used with ivf? Another poster had said she felt like prednisone stopped her from getting pregnant. I'm fearful of being on a drug that could hinder the progress. It's not something I thought to ask my FS cos I figured she wouldn't prescribe something that hampered my chances of pregnancy.

They eft will only prescribe it if I'm doing monitored cycles.. Which was $400 a month just to try naturally but have them do bt's to check ovulation etc.. So we might two two of those cycles (total of 7 weeks on prednisolone if I don't get preg) and after that perhaps have a couple cycles just trying on our own without. I suppose my nerves are also related to the fact that my immune issues are only JUST out of the normal.. They're not sky high. But they wouldn't give the drug 'just in case' if it was likely to stop a pregnancy occurring would they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't done ivf so I hope you don't mind me posting but I've been on and off prednisolone for 8yrs.

I was on 25mg a day for 8months and it wasn't till about 5 months in that I started getting side effects including the lovely moon face. On 5, 10 and 15mg I had no side effects at all. 10mg is usually described as a low dose but depending on the condition and your weight you could go up to 80mg. I'm underweight so 25mg for me was a high dose (apparently it's a weight by mg calculation but i can't remember exactly how it worked).

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm I'm 52kg so not exactly massive. Makes me nervous to think it might be too big a dose for my body weight

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a little nervous to try it first after dr google scared me but after 6 failed cycles and a mmc I was willing to give anything a shot. So I went to a new clinic and doc who tested me for nk cells and I did have elevated levels so was put on pred and clexane. Fell pregnant both times first go so I think it helped immensely. Haven't heard it hindering a pregnancy. It's used to suppress your immune system slightly to allow the embryo to implant and grow stopping your body from attacking it. You are only on it a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things.