+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Messy eating ideas!

I've just started finger foods with my 7 1/2 month twins (I've spoon fed until now). I'm wondering if you could give me ideas on your process for managing the mess of eating. I LOVE them enjoying the exploration but I feel like I'm changing their clothes and cleaning up all the time.

So what's your best advice or routine when it's food time?? I need the most basic info because I feel like I'm spinning in circles with the preparation and clean up!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat with my 9 month old! When he feeds himself, I put either a towel/ table cloth on the floor under his high chair. When he's finished eating, I take it outside and shake all the food of it which the dogs usually eat! O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feed outside on grass or plastic high chair wearing only nappy, then hose down the lot when finished! Of course this only works in summer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I'm in the same boat with my 9 month old! When he feeds himself, I put either a towel/ table cloth on the floor under his high chair. When he's finished eating, I take it outside and shake all the food of it which the dogs usually eat! O
    I do similar to this - a towel under the highchair and shake it off outside when done. I also keep the cover off the high chair, because I was constantly washing it and it was hard to clean, so just plastic high chair. Being summer the kids are mainly just in singlets, so DS2 has a bib (which doesn't stay on very long ) and I just change his singlet after each meal. We also often have arvo tea outside on the deck, where they can make as much mess as they like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can buy mess mats or plastic coated 'raincoat' like fabric from spotlight to put underneath them to catch the mess. Just wipe clean when their done.
    Also near to naked is better. Don't bother wiping them down half way through a meal. It's fruitless.. Just grin and bear the mess until after they have finished eating or you will be forever cleaning and more mess is put in its place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Buy a cheap shower curtain and put it on the floor under the high chair. Then you can just shake it out or chuck in washing machine if really dirty. I got one from Kmart for a few dollars.

I find it easier to have kids wearing minimal clothes (easier in warmer weather obviously). The rubbery/plastic bibs with a scoop are good too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have two but this is what I did with one.

We never used bibs much so were also changing changing clothes after each meal. Not so much now at 18 months.

After each meal we would go to the sink and wash hands & face, then take a cloth back to the table and wipe the table and floor clean. I got bub involved with that every time. At first I just carried him and he watched or I sat him on the floor while I cleaned up (wood floor, wood table).

Now he 'helps' me clean the floor by picking up and eating the bits and pieces that have fallen on the floor. I'm hoping that one day he'll be able to do it all himself! Ha! Wouldn't that be nice?! What I'm trying to teach is that it's OK to make a mess if you help clean it up afterwards.

And yes, in my opinion, a bare baby chest is a lot easier to clean up than a shirt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always put a tarp down under my kids high chairs when feeding them, that way I don't have to stress when they're dropping food everywhere. When they're finished I just wipe down their high hairs (letting it all fall onto the tarp) and shake out the tarp outside. I might wipe it down if needed or if it's really messy I'll hose it down outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We did BLW so mess from day 1!
    I had full sleeve bibs , looks like a painting smock , I got mine from eBay, brilliant as its not easy in the colder months not to wear clothes and we always had him sit up with us at the dinner table , I also had the "muck mat " plastic mat under the high hair plus a high hair cover , just have heaps of wipes/ paper towels to wipe down the high chair tray after every meal

Letting them learn by making a mess is important , DS is 3 and eats better and drops less food on himself than I do now !