+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Slow cooker yogurt?

I tried for the first time yesterday to make my own yogurt in the slow cooker (using milk, milk powder and some store bought plain yogurt with live cultures). I was surprised that it worked pretty well, and it tastes great, but when I stirred it up the texture went slightly curdled.

Just wondering for those that make homemade yogurt if this is normal? Or if anyone has any suggestions/ recipes for a failproof homemade yogurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've not tried it in a slow cooker but I make homemade yogurt. I buy a culture online from green living Australia and use the easiyo thermos to set it. I put in a tiny speck of culture 1 litre of uht milk and 1/3 cup skim milk power. It makes a beautiful not too tangy natural yogurt. I think mix it with some pureed fruit to make it a lovely snack for my kids. We will never buy yogurt or easiyo pouches again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    I've not tried it in a slow cooker but I make homemade yogurt. I buy a culture online from green living Australia and use the easiyo thermos to set it. I put in a tiny speck of culture 1 litre of uht milk and 1/3 cup skim milk power. It makes a beautiful not too tangy natural yogurt. I think mix it with some pureed fruit to make it a lovely snack for my kids. We will never buy yogurt or easiyo pouches again
    Does it turn out smooth in the easiyo?

I just hand stirred through some stewed puree fruit, I wonder if I still made it in the slow cooker but then whizzed it up in the food processor with the fruit if it would turn out smoother. Might have to experiemnt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Subbing. I have been thinking about making this too but my yogurts are always too "textured"as well or too runny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing never heard of this but sounds great idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've made coconut milk yoghurt in the slow cooker (well, using the slow cooker as a water bath), but that's completely different. If it's curdled the temp may be too high?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep it's perfectly smooth in the easiyo. If I stir it it tends to go a bit runny but most yogurt without additives are like that. I think the milk powder is to thicken it up. Even though it seems curdled does it taste alright? do you think maybe you just need to cook it a bit less?

I just do it in the easiyo because I've always had one, where I bought the culture from it says you can do it in an esky with a jar or place it somewhere warm like on your hot water system etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have made my own yoghurt in the past... fail safe recipe that involves things you usually have around the home! I'll go find the recipe & share it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok here it is! Trust me, this makes THE BEST homemade yoghurt! I havde made it many times in the past. I often put in a tsp or 2 of sugar just to slightly sweeten it!

It is a recipe from the US, off a forum I used to frequent. I have put the conversions in & made a couple of notes!

If you want a thick yoghurt you will need a small box of powdered milk.

Cow milk or goat milk will make good yoghurt.

Using quart sized mason jars - Sterilize the jars and lids.

1 quart of milk (950 mls) mixed with 1/3 cup powdered milk.

Using a candy thermometer heat the milk slowly to 185 degrees. (85 degrees Celsius)

Remove from heat.

Allow to cool naturally(or set pot in a ice water bath and carefully watch the temp -it will drop fast while stirring) to 110 degrees (43 degrees Celsius)

Stir in 2 heaping tbsp of your plain yoghurt. Mix well until all is dissolved. I use Jalna yoghurt as my culture! Just buy it at the supermarket!

Pour the mixture in your quart sized jar. Wrap in a dishtowel to insulate.

Using a second jar, fill it with boiling water. Wrap it in a dish towel to insulate.

Place both jars in a small cooler (esky) that you have heated with hot water****. Allow the yoghurt to cure for 10 - 12 hours. When the milk is set to a solid it is ready. Refrigerate and serve cold.

If you do this in the morning you will have fresh yoghurt for the following morning.

****Before you start making the yoghurt, fill the esky with warm water to get the temp up in there. Do not leave water in the cooler. Fill the esky with hot water while you are preparing everything then pour it out. You simply want a warm place to incubate your yoghurt cultures.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryLovin For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Rodeobull - in the recipe I have you just heat the milk in the slow cooker for 2.5hrs, so maybe it did get cooked too long. It tastes good, it's just the texture - curdled might not be the right word - but the texture is a but lumpy. I whizzed some up with mango in the food processor and it was beautiful and smooth, but went really runny

@CountryLovin - will be trying that recipe, thanks! I didn't check temps of milk so wonder if that's where it went wrong.