+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For a start you should have been told your result shortly after the nuchal scan. They calculate the results of the scan with your blood results and advise you after the scan so to be told you have to see your dr is not good practice.

With ds2 the scan was great but my bloods indicated bub was high risk of 3 trisomies. I had low Papp-a. I went on to have the CVS and all was clear. I knew little about how the results are calculated etc then and I was a mess waiting for my CVS and results. This time round I have done a lot more research. I now know that low Papp-a is common with IVF as is high HCG, the hormones play a big part in the bloods. So this time round I am not as anxious as I was last time and certainly won't be worrying so much if my bloods indicate a high risk trisomy again.

The Cvs and amnio are similar, just done at different times of the pregnancy. Honestly the Cvs didn't hurt and was very quick. It was mildly uncomfortable for a few seconds is all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    For a start you should have been told your result shortly after the nuchal scan. They calculate the results of the scan with your blood results and advise you after the scan so to be told you have to see your dr is not good practice.

all.
    Depending on where you are the results aren't done automatically. I live rurally and always have to wait 48 hours for my combined results to be available. Even with my first son where there were major increases in the NT measurement I still couldn't get my risk level straight away - I was sent to my gp straight after the scan and we got the ball rolling for a cvs referral.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-02-2014),Purple Lily  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Depending on where you are the results aren't done automatically. I live rurally and always have to wait 48 hours for my combined results to be available. Even with my first son where there were major increases in the NT measurement I still couldn't get my risk level straight away - I was sent to my gp straight after the scan and we got the ball rolling for a cvs referral.
    I live remote too. I was advised to have the bloods done at 10 weeks to ensure they are available for the day of the scan at 12 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to the results appointment on my own too - thinking that everything was fine because the sonographer who did my scan was so positive and said all the measurements were great. It was so hard to tell my DH that everything might not be okay with our baby - I actually felt like a failure!

I'm another one with low papp-a which made my combined results for T21 come back as 1:195. We opted for the Verifi blood test (same as Harmony) and the 10 day wait for results was awful. We told my parents and my sister that we were having further testing done, but we basically avoided contact with anyone for a few weeks until we got given the all clear.

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant and having growth scans (also have a blood clotting disorder so need to ensure a healthy placenta). Bub is only in the 15th percentile, so if my next one shows a poor growth rate since the previous scan then I'll be scheduled for a c-section. Apart from that though everything indicates she's perfectly healthy.

Best of luck with the amnio and the wait for results - it seems like a lifetime, but you will get through this! And you are making the right decision for your family, don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's an awful feeling not knowing what's going on. Hugs. I had low risk with my first and went to appt with 2nd alone only to be told risk was 1:150 I think it was, maybe 1:120. I too was very upset. The hosp made an appt for a few hours later with a geneticist and DH came and spoke with them too. It was bloods that pushed mine up. We decided to do no further tests and have a (genetically) perfect 13mo DS now.
    It's your decision to make about what to do next.
    I did consider going for a 2nd opinion (privately paid blood and scan with results within an hour) but didn't.
    Your mind won't rest for weeks now, take it easy xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    I can imagine I will be really shaky I was shaking yesterday when she did the quick scan because for some reason I had convinced myself that there wasn't going to be a hb. Dh is a really calm person and I really connected with the Dr so I'm hoping I wont freak out too much.

Gosh you poor thing going in alone
    My bestie was meant to come but got called into work so it just happened that way, fob was working too and nobody else knew I was having a baby so I couldn't really ask anybody else, it was ok though, it was silly to go straight back to work though, I suffer from 'she will be right mate syndrome

Hope you a feeling abit better today but I doubt you are, it's all wait and worry xxxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I haven't had the chance to reply until now. On top of everything else we had a speech asessment for Ds1 too.

Kimberlygal I actually went to the radiology places website and it said I would get the results on the day so I believe I should have gotten them. The Dr who did the scan was so rude I didn't bother asking...I was in there for 5-6 minutes and that was it. I was told by my gp to get the bloods done a few days before the scan because they had to be sent down south and would take a couple of days. In the end it didn't matter because the Dr scanning wasn't interested in looking up my bloods. Maybe I should make a complaint because the more I think about it the more upset I get about it. And I wouldn't want this happening to others either

So today I'm feeling a bit better...still sad that this is happening and I'm stressing so much. I just have to be confident because although my papp-a was quite low, the neck fold was fine and so was my hcg...still hasn't stopped me from being worried If It's not Down Syndrome then I'm going to be worried about the placental function. I feel like after having two boring pregnancies that Its being made up for now with this one. Pretty sure this is our last baby too so I'm a bit sad that Its going to be so stressful.

I'm glad people have shared how they felt emotionally because I was worried that maybe I was over reacting. It's nice to know that I'm not alone Although I wouldn't wish this stress on anybody.

We have definitely decided we will do the fish results for our emotional well being. Thankfully the amnio is booked in on March 4th for 8:30am so first thing.

Arlais I've been feeling like a failure too and I've done nothing but blame myself. I was so relaxed this pregnancy so that's given me a lot of ammo to blame myself.

Dh has taken the day off for my amnio and the following day. I have a 2.5 yr old and a 6 month old so the days can get busy. I know I will be terrified of miscarrying so will just really take it easy those two days.

Mokeybear sorry it turned out that way for you, you must have been so scared I'm a bit like you aswell thinking 'she's alright'. I wasn't even going to mention dh having the following day off and was going to tell him just to work a half day after the amnio.

I just wanted to again thank each and every one of you for sharing your story and the wonderful support you have a shown It means a lot to me xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its really no problem, it was the hardest thing ive ever had to go through and I was on this forum myself seeking help and info. I wish you all the luck in the world, I really really do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gamermummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gamermummy View Post
    Its really no problem, it was the hardest thing ive ever had to go through and I was on this forum myself seeking help and info. I wish you all the luck in the world, I really really do.
    Thank you lovely I truly hope I come back here with a positive story. If anything, one day I may be the one to pass on support and help somebody else who is in the same position like everybody here has done for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh PL sending you a big
    I don't have personal experience, just another positive anecdote- a friend was given a 1 in 4 chance of downs and had a perfectly healthy son. Another was given a 1 in 26 chance of downs and again, perfectly healthy child. Actually, I know a fair few people deemed "high risk" after the NT scan and bloods and not one has had a DS child or child with any sort of problem or issue.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post: