+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The vax does not cover all strains of whopping cough, so anybody with symptoms should stay away from baby whether they have had recent vax or not.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2014),VicPark  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've told everyone no vac no visit, my partner did pretty well at telling his family this, I was so shocked that his mum, a nurse, and his sister, who had a baby six months ago, who all live in the same house, didn't get it.

I was worried about them the least, thinking they would of done it for the sisters baby, but nope, his mum is most likely up to date as she's a nurse, but couldn't believe his sister, she was saying "yeah, the hospital told me about it, but I didn't get it" I have no idea how you could be so complacent!

So now I'm worried, if she didn't bother for her own child, why would she for ours?? and how will I know if she really got it done..... Argh.... Tricky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    So now I'm worried, if she didn't bother for her own child, why would she for ours?? and how will I know if she really got it done..... Argh.... Tricky
    If she doesn't believe it works or is worth it, she probably doesn't have motivation to get it done. It might depend on how keen she is to see your baby.

I'm interested in why many of you have said you can't trust your family member to be truthful about whether they have got vaxes or not. Is this a reflection of your general relationship, or do you think people lie about vaxing more than other topics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    If she doesn't believe it works or is worth it, she probably doesn't have motivation to get it done. It might depend on how keen she is to see your baby.

I'm interested in why many of you have said you can't trust your family member to be truthful about whether they have got vaxes or not. Is this a reflection of your general relationship, or do you think people lie about vaxing more than other topics.
    I think if someone freely identifies themselves as anti-vaccine, it would be very difficult to believe them when they said they'd get a vax to meet your requirements, iykwim. I know people who choose not to vax, they are quite passionate about it, I cannot imagine any of them actually getting a vaccine to be able to visit someone, considering the lengths they go to to avoid vaccines otherwise. Would they lie about it? Maybe. I imagine it's much easier than converting someone to your way of thinking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The vax does not cover all strains of whopping cough, so anybody with symptoms should stay away from baby whether they have had recent vax or not.
    It's not that there are different strains of pertussis, more likely just the fact that vaccines are not 100% effective in that some people do get any coverage from them. I for example cannot get a decent rubella level to save my life... The vax just does not work on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think if someone freely identifies themselves as anti-vaccine, it would be very difficult to believe them when they said they'd get a vax to meet your requirements, iykwim. I know people who choose not to vax, they are quite passionate about it, I cannot imagine any of them actually getting a vaccine to be able to visit someone, considering the lengths they go to to avoid vaccines otherwise. Would they lie about it? Maybe. I imagine it's much easier than converting someone to your way of thinking.
    see, i would think they be more likely to just say no. if they identify as anti vax, why would they say they would get a vaccine, or say that they had had it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    It's not that there are different strains of pertussis, more likely just the fact that vaccines are not 100% effective in that some people do get any coverage from them. I for example cannot get a decent rubella level to save my life... The vax just does not work on me.
    Thanks. i had a quick google (very scientific, i know) and found that both could be affecting rates of pertussis.

http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pertactin-neg-strain.html

A New England Journal of Medicine letter was published on February 7, 2013, noting the first appearance in the United States of pertussis strains that are missing pertactin. More recently a paper evaluating the prevalence of these pertactin-deficient strains in the United States was published in Clinical Vaccine Immunology.Pertactin is one of several components of all pertussis vaccines. It is a protein that helps pertussis bacteria attach to the lining of the airways. Although pertactin is an important part of the vaccines, current evidence suggests pertussis vaccines continue to prevent disease caused by both pertactin-positive and pertactin-negative pertussis strains since other components of the vaccines provide protection.
    CDC is currently conducting studies in the United States to determine whether pertactin deficiency is one of the factors contributing to the increase in the number of reported pertussis cases. CDC will continue to closely monitor the situation and evaluate all available scientific evidence before drawing any conclusions. There is also no suggestion that these new strains are causing more severe cases of pertussis.
    Protection from childhood pertussis vaccines still appears to be excellent during the first few years after vaccination, but wears off over time. Outbreaks and epidemics being seen around the country are consistent with what is seen as vaccine protection wears off. It is most likely that the change in pertussis vaccines (from whole cell to acellular in the 1990s) along with better diagnostics and increased reporting are driving the resurgence of pertussis throughout the United States.
    Vaccines are the safest and most effective tool we have for preventing pertussis. And we continue to have evidence that pertussis vaccines are working, no longer seeing 200,000 cases per year as we did in the pre-vaccine era.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    see, i would think they be more likely to just say no. if they identify as anti vax, why would they say they would get a vaccine, or say that they had had it?
    Maybe because they don't want to be excluded or believe their "homeopathic vaccine" is the same? I don't know. I vaccinate. I've read more than my fair share or the reasons people don't vaccinate and spent far too much time on sites like the AVN or mercola or whale.to to know that sometimes the thought processes behind such views aren't rational so I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude they may exhibit irrational behaviour elsewhere in life.
    Last edited by Atropos; 20-02-2014 at 14:24.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

For myself it's just a general relationship thing, ive met her less than 5 times, so my partner talks to them, so I only get to hear his side of the conversation, so I couldn't judge if she was against it, or there was a reason, or if she just couldn't be bothered. She has a general kind of apathy, smoking while pregnant, now her baby is here, she will smoke with him less than a metre away in the pram. So I don't think safety is a huge thing.

I don't think she'd maliciously lie about it, just maybe not do it and be like "oh yeah, I had it, no worries".

His mum on the other hand, well she thinks she knows everything, so if she decides in her head that it's not necessary, then she'll just be like meh, whatever, and then might just say she did so she can meet the baby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will bub be 6 weeks when they stay with you or in the first 6 weeks? I was told once bub has had their first whooping cough jab it isn't necessary for adults to get the booster (if they haven't already).