+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes. It's not a big ask. We all go on all the time about unvaxxed children being a danger- unvaxxed adults are just as dangerous. There has been so much WC around in recent years, and babies have died from it when to young to be vaccinated- I'm sure we all remember Dana McCaffery. You could always refer them to her story if needed.
    Dana lived in my suburb...so very sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Just another quick one ladies... If someone chose to not get vaccinated would it be ok for them to stay in the House as long as they didn't hold bub? I'm thinking them just being in the same room would be dangerous still...

Hubby is going to ask his mother etc to get the jab and if they won't he said tough they won't be able to hold bub. Just want to let him know of its a bit more complicated than that and I am impatient... Can't wait a few days for my next doctor appointment

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I wonder if anyone has had family members refuse to take the vaccination?

Chippa: due at the end of the month..
    We asked MIL who is anti 'chemicals'. She pretended not to understand what we were asking and then said she would but hasn't I'm sure. Makes me so mad.

I second 'Jabbed'. That baby with WC is so, so harrowing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another quick one ladies... If someone chose to not get vaccinated would it be ok for them to stay in the House as long as they didn't hold bub? I'm thinking them just being in the same room would be dangerous still...

Hubby is going to ask his mother etc to get the jab and if they won't he said tough they won't be able to hold bub. Just want to let him know of its a bit more complicated than that and I am impatient... Can't wait a few days for my next doctor appointment
    VP, pertussis is extremely contagious and presents initially like a mild cold usually, bit snuffly, bit snotty. I'd say any person needs to stay away if symptomatic but aren't you having the 3rd trimester vax?
    If so baby will be fine.
    In studies cord bloods of babies born to mothers who had the vax in 3rd trimester had antibody levels as high as a 12 month old who had had all their age appropriate vaxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I personally wouldn't allow them to stay without so early on. My understanding is it can be passed on in the saliva. Which means they don't need to hold the baby to pass it on, but simply be in their vicinity and cough or sneeze etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

How did you raise it with them considering the vacinnation is no longer free for family members?
    I'm pretty sure it's on the schedule for people over 50 who haven't had one in 10yrs (unless guidelines have changed since I've been on mat leave) so it should be on the NIP and therefore free.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    VP, pertussis is extremely contagious and presents initially like a mild cold usually, bit snuffly, bit snotty. I'd say any person needs to stay away if symptomatic but aren't you having the 3rd trimester vax?
    If so baby will be fine.
    In studies cord bloods of babies born to mothers who had the vax in 3rd trimester had antibody levels as high as a 12 month old who had had all their age appropriate vaxes.
    I was never offered a third trimester vax for my first pregnancy or this one. I had a vax when I was in hospital 2 years ago with my first and I believe the vax's last 5 years..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes i would not want them staying in the house. I was barracaded from going near 2 patient rooms even near their doors in case germs came out of the room at work. It is highly contagious and symptoms can take a while

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I asked and paid for mum's and the IL's WC vaccinations. I even arranged the appointments. I made it clear that they would not be visiting of they hadn't been vaccinated. The IL's weren't too impressed but I didn't really care.

As for not having the booster and still staying with you but not hold bub - no I wouldn't let them.

I had WC when I was 24, I fractured three ribs and it took me over 18 months to feel completely well again. The thought of a newborn suffering what I did is horrifying.
    Thanks... I just read on a govt health site that 70-100% of people living in a house with someone with whooping cough get it...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (20-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was never offered a third trimester vax for my first pregnancy or this one. I had a vax when I was in hospital 2 years ago with my first and I believe the vax's last 5 years..?
    Yes, Australian guidelines are to have it every 5yrs for pregnant women.
    Out of interest the CDC recommends it for every pregnancy in the US, regardless of last vax.