+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes, I would and I did. Although it was free when we had our bubs. I guess I'd raise the point, that at the end of the day it is protection for them - that even if they have had whooping cough or boosters before protection only lasts between 5-9 years - so really it is for their benefit as well. If they still don't want to get it done, tell them to watch jabbed with the footage of the week old baby with whooping cough.
    Is this on you tube?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister is an antivaxer (just herself - no kids) and works at an alternative school - I've brought it up with her (due nowish with bubs) twice now and she SAYS she will...

I'm a bit concerned tho... Do I ask her to prove it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I asked our family to all get it cause we were going to stay with them in uk for a few months over xmas. Only my uncle refused and he didn't get to hold DD which is a shame cause he won't see her again for a few years but that's just tough luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine got it, but there were a few eyebrows raised and I think they thought we were being overprotective.

I told them that our doctor had strongly recommended that family members who were visiting in the first 6 weeks in particular get it. I think it helped saying that, because then it came across as advice from an experienced medical professional, not just a request from us.

I also explained the benefits for them (eg. protection for themselves, plus the combined vaccine covers them for tetanus too, so they wouldn't need to have a tetanus shot for another 10 years)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMa View Post
    My sister is an antivaxer (just herself - no kids) and works at an alternative school - I've brought it up with her (due nowish with bubs) twice now and she SAYS she will...

If she is anti vax, I would ask, yes. Especially if her school has a high proportion of unvaxxed kids too. Only because if she is fundamentally opposed to vaccines I would suspect she was just telling me what I wanted to hear.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMa View Post

What is your relationship like with her? Does she often lie to you?

I would ask straight out if she was going to get it. You can't force her, but you need to know so you can make your decisions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

ButterflyMa  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    VP search the SBS website. I missed Jabbed when it was on tv but just caught up by watching it via the website.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-02-2014),VicPark  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I wonder if anyone has had family members refuse to take the vaccination?
    My dad and brother refused it.

My dad was hesitant regarding being vaccinated based on myths that circulated many years ago. My brother is intellectually disabled and my parents were worried he might become 'more disabled' from vaccinations

Despite this, my mum got the vax without any hesitation. My IL's also got the jab without having to be asked.

DS was in hospital (premmie) until he was 5 1/2 weeks old, then he got his first vaccinations a few days later.

I didn't allow my dad or brother to hold or be close to DS until after he had been vaccinated. They were fine with keeping their distance - they understood why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep i asked my parents & inlaws to have the WC vaccine.
    None of them had an issue with it, i just explained that its recommended that people who will be in close contact with the baby in the first few months need to be done to protect the baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have asked family and il's. Still trying to get dh to go get his as seems to forget every day off work. My mum had hers done already need to remind dad and my inlaws again. My sister was hesitant and threw a massive tanty cause i dared to ask her, massive idiot who is in hospital with respiratory problems atleast twice a yr you'd think 1 dr would have suggested it once anyway as there is a fair bit of it up here. She has agreed but still hasn't bothered yet cause she's been visiting friends newborns last weekend without it as they didn't care about it she has been told no jab no cuddles and I will uphold this she knows i am more stubborn then her. As a nurse who has nursed adults with it no way do i want my baby to catch it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app