+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanks
    8,078
    Thanked
    1,258
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with KaraB.
    I fully understand he is only 15 years old and a child himself, but he is also old enough to know right from wrong. He obviously had a terrible childhood which has affected him, but that doesn't change the fact he knew what he was doing.

    I'm betting that his background will be used as an excuse, and that he didn't have the capacity to realise what he was doing. If that were the case, then there would have been inappropriate behaviour with the baby from the start. But there wasn't, from what the staff were saying.
    He waited until he was alone with that poor little baby to do this. That shows right there that he knew what he was doing was wrong.

    FWIW, my son was in NICU and special care for a month as well. In NICU each baby has their own nurse, in Special Care there is usually one nurse to around 3 babies. You get to know all of them, and they get to know you. Over a month there is no way that not one person would not pick up that you didn't know right from wrong with your baby. So the fact that none of them did tells me that he knew exactly what he was doing.

    That poor little soul
    That's an excellent point. He had a small window of opportunity to harm his child when previously he was sen to be doing the right thing. It paints an ugly picture on his part.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

    LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014),Mokeybear  (19-02-2014)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked
    177
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    There seems to be some information missing from this story, the baby had been in hospital for a month after his premature birth and was leaving the next day to go home, there were no problems reported with the child's father and he didn't have restricted access and yet she left the room to get some food and he has beaten the baby!!!

    Also I don't understand why SHE has lost the right to make decisions regarding her son, going on the information available she has done nothing wrong.

    I have zero sympathy or understanding for him, it does seem like he waited till he was alone with him to then assault this tiny baby.

    That poor poor little baby and his mother.
    Exactly. That's what I was trying to say...take his background and age out of this and see what you are left with.
    He WAITED until he was alone with the baby. He didn't just snap, and hurt his child. He didn't suddenly react badly to his baby crying, or any of the other excuses that are often made when a baby is hurt. He had been helping care for the baby for nearly a month, under the watchful eye of the staff. This wasn't a case of a teen dad at home with a new baby and NFI of what he was doing.
    He had his first window of opportunity after nearly a month, and he took it. That's pre-meditation right there surely.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

    KaraB  (19-02-2014),mishh  (19-02-2014)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    3,792
    Thanked
    2,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's the conclusion I drew as well, she was also going home with the baby the next day...

    I wonder if the assault on her was when she was pregnant and also wonder why she delivered early, I'm wondering along those lines because DCF have been involved from the start and have been very quick to strip the mum of her rights to make decisions for her son, there does seem to be a lot missing to the story.

    That boy must have a heart of stone.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

    KaraB  (19-02-2014),LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014)

  7. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    108
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with KaraB.
    I fully understand he is only 15 years old and a child himself, but he is also old enough to know right from wrong. He obviously had a terrible childhood which has affected him, but that doesn't change the fact he knew what he was doing.
    I disagree. At 15 (especially in males) the frontal lobe of the brain (responsible for reasoning and problem solving) is not fully developed. This is what leads teenagers to be risk takers and to do stupid things. An underdeveloped frontal lobe is also linked to sociopaths and pyschopaths, and is why these disorders cannot be diagnosed fully until early adulthood.

    I think this situation is unbelievably sad, but like all things in life, we can't judge without the full story. He is a child in a exceptional situation. You don't know what his reasons were for hurting his baby (not that any reason would justify it)
    He will be judged by a judge and jury who are given a full account of circumstances and history and it is for them to deem his punishment.

    What would you be thinking/feeling is this were your 15 year old?

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD Mumma For This Useful Post:

    cluckcluck  (19-02-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (19-02-2014)

  9. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I read another article that explained this. Because both parents were minors the dcp had to be called. (eta: the parents were already under care themselves) As the baby's injuries are THAT bad, to the point of possibly needing to decide whether or not to turn life support off, only someone over the age of 18 can make that decision.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 19-02-2014 at 12:04.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

    Bulbasaur  (19-02-2014)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    And that's why the dcp are involved.

    At least that's what I read

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

    Mokeybear  (19-02-2014)

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    I know I'll get flamed for this but I just feel pure anger at that f*cking kid who did this! I don't CARE if he was 'troubled' I don't care if he was 15. Lock him up!! Seriously wtf?? :/ That poor little baby. There's just no reason in the f*cking world that makes it excusable or understandable. If he can do that to a tiny helpless baby - his own child no less, he shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets. Grr.
    Totally agree! I do hope the decision is made to turn off the poor babies life support because he will never live a normal life as obviously his injuries are very severe for them to have to make that choice. Poor boy!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

    LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014)

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    108
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    Exactly. That's what I was trying to say...take his background and age out of this and see what you are left with.
    He WAITED until he was alone with the baby. He didn't just snap, and hurt his child. He didn't suddenly react badly to his baby crying, or any of the other excuses that are often made when a baby is hurt. He had been helping care for the baby for nearly a month, under the watchful eye of the staff. This wasn't a case of a teen dad at home with a new baby and NFI of what he was doing.
    He had his first window of opportunity after nearly a month, and he took it. That's pre-meditation right there surely.
    Wow I didn't realise you were there.

    How do you know he didn't react badly? How do you know he premeditated this?

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    3,792
    Thanked
    2,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Mumma View Post
    I disagree. At 15 (especially in males) the frontal lobe of the brain (responsible for reasoning and problem solving) is not fully developed. This is what leads teenagers to be risk takers and to do stupid things. An underdeveloped frontal lobe is also linked to sociopaths and pyschopaths, and is why these disorders cannot be diagnosed fully until early adulthood.

    I think this situation is unbelievably sad, but like all things in life, we can't judge without the full story. He is a child in a exceptional situation. You don't know what his reasons were for hurting his baby (not that any reason would justify it)
    He will be judged by a judge and jury who are given a full account of circumstances and history and it is for them to deem his punishment.

    What would you be thinking/feeling is this were your 15 year old?
    Can't agree sorry I have raised three boys past the age of 15 and each and every one of them knew that assaulting a baby was the very wrong thing to do.

    I judge him, I would also recommend you read Vic Parks link as it's time we all did start judging these monsters and stop making excuses for them.

    The victim here is the child and his mother.

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (20-02-2014),JustUs3  (19-02-2014),KaraB  (19-02-2014),LiterallyNoOne  (19-02-2014),Serenity Love  (21-02-2014)

  18. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    There seems to be some information missing from this story, the baby had been in hospital for a month after his premature birth and was leaving the next day to go home, there were no problems reported with the child's father and he didn't have restricted access and yet she left the room to get some food and he has beaten the baby!!!

    Also I don't understand why SHE has lost the right to make decisions regarding her son, going on the information available she has done nothing wrong.

    I have zero sympathy or understanding for him, it does seem like he waited till he was alone with him to then assault this tiny baby.

    That poor poor little baby and his mother.
    From what I could tell the baby (prior to this incident) was going to be released into the care of the mother's extended family. I don't know if this is because it is what is required when the mother is a minor (which I'm assuming she is) or if it is for other reasons. So I don't think it's that she's lost rights because of the assault.

    Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app


 

Similar Threads

  1. Trigger warning- social services remove a baby from the womb
    By Atropos in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-12-2013, 12:08
  2. *trigger warning* (?) I would sue them too!!
    By KaraB in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 25-11-2013, 18:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!