+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw my private OB one a month till 30wks then fortnightly till 36 and weekly till bubs birth.
    His midwives did do some stuff each visit but he was always there too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So DH called the midwife three days ago & left a message & no-one called back. He called again today & left another message & still no-one has called him. Obviously this is a massive waste of money if this is the level of care we are paying for.

This has happened before too, a little while ago I was sick & wanted to know if it would affect the baby so I called & had to leave a message. No-one ever called me & I had a massive freak out so 5 hours later dh called the birth suite urgent line & told them I was having a freak out. The midwife called me 5 minutes later. Great level of care we are paying for here....thats what id expect public, not as a private patient.

Unfortunately,judging by a previous poster, we wont be able to change to a midwife team as I am also due in July. I have no way of getting to nundah. So I guess we are stuck where we are & ill just continue to manage my pregnancy myself & fork out money for the gp every time I have an issue, as well as taking 3 hrs off work & forking out heaps of $ for a 5 minute appointment with the ob.

God I hope we dont waste too much money! Dont have a lot to throw around after ivf which is why we didnt go full private.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only gone public, I was happy both times. I'm hoping for vbac and privately that would be harder (not to mention $$). I prefer to see midwives than doctors personally so I feel happy going public. I've been private for thyroid surgery and that was good to meet with surgeon etc have all planned out but unless I had an obs that I really liked and would have for the birth I wouldn't really see the point. I think you do end up paying for things like blood tests that should be Medicare. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read previous posts. Can you change to shared care thru gp? That's what I have been doing. You go to gp for all of appts except weeks 14, 36 and 40. It is free after 20 weeks. Continued care from same doc without the money. But I guess you have already paid for the ob upfront??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Havent paid the gap/excess for the ob yet, we do that at our next visit.

Is the shared care really free after 20 weeks? Even if your gp doesnt bulk bill?? I will definitely look into that! Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. It actually says on account that all shared care appts after a viable preg after 20weeks is bulk billed. I am assuming it's the same Australia wide. I would just ring a gp near you or look on Internet at who does shared care in your area and book in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks a lot! Will definitely call my gp clinic next week & see if they do shared care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not pregnant yet myself but I can tell you now (based on my work in a GP clinic, and also sister who had shared care in her 2nd birth) shared care is not bulk billed as routine, unless it is a doctor that is bulk billing.

In saying that, a normal consult (level B or 23) as it is known costs around $65 and you will get about ½ back from medicare - more if you have reached your safety net.

I asked my sister the same question. 1st was private hospital/private obstetrician, 2nd child was shared care/public hospital. She did not think private was any better - if anything after having her 2nd child at the public she realised the nurses did not have as much training and experience as those in the public (and I can vouch for this being a nurse myself - public hospitals provide a lot more in services for there staff, usually because most public hospitals are also teaching hospitals and private are not). Also observed that nurses at the private said she was not ordered to have anything stronger for the pain (claimed it was not charted) when indeed it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very lucky then to be bulked billed from 20weeks doing shared care
    And I totally agree with going public. I am a nurse in public myself. The same hospital I gave birth in