+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has anyone birthed as a private patient in public hospital?

Im just wondering if anyone has birthed as a private patient in a public hospital & whether it was worth it?

Im birthing at the rbwh & currently through the private practice suite. However, im having trouble understanding what I actually recieve for my money & what makes it worthwhile.

Ive seen my ob once for an appointment that lasted all of 10 minutes, as well as having the booking in appointment with the midwife. We cant contact our ob with questions but can contact his midwives.

When I give birth the ob wont necessarily be there & I have no idea if the midwives will be or if we'll get someone we've never met. Ill get a private room if one is available but if not ill go on the ward.

I cant really see that we are getting much that public patients wouldnt get. So now im getting really worried that we've chosen the wrong option & should have just gone public. I dont want to pay heaps of money if we dont get anything for it.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    How far along are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    20 weeks & 4 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Assuming you'll get a private room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have private health and have gone public as its the closest hospital, I don't think its worth it if you go public waste of money as u could still end up sharing a room, if your OB is not on call when you birth then he doesn't come in ( I don't think) so I don't think its worth it in your case, you will be out a few grand....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeh im inclined to agree that its not worth it but Dh still seems to think it is. I just really cant figure out what we have got for our money so far.

Im guessing its too late to change now anyway cause all the public stuff is probably already booked up for July, I just really hope we dont waste too much money.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could enquire about public. Only benefit aside from what you have mentioned would be if you don't automatically fall within catchment area as a public patient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, not worth it in my opinion. Have private health and had dd at rbwh in 2011 as a public patient through the midwife teams. Saw an ob once and was a total waste of appointment! Pretty sure at rbwh you will just get whatever midwives are working birth suite when you go into labour.

I did end up getting billed for some blood tests and when I queried it they said "oh we accidentally had you as private". All got sorted but I'm pretty sure as a private patient you have to pay for all those things.

If your not happy see if you can get your model of care changed. I just did this with my current preg due in July and are seeing the nundah midwives as no space left In either of the teams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! DH is making some phone calls today & getting more information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck, for the record private in other circumstances is worth it in my opinion. My dr was available 24/7 was at the birth ( and induction) and having my own room and bathroom after was worth it.