+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi HillDweller,

Thanks for the advice... I'll admit these "triggers" can come and go now and again... they're less so now... but there's usually the odd one that rears its ugly head when I least expect it... Case in point, about a week ago was called into the bathroom whilst DW was showering; DW has an awful habit of chatting to me while she's showering... And for a brief few seconds my wife looked near identical facially to my ex... I mentally crapped myself for those few seconds and took a step back afterwards when I left the room to recollect my thoughts... and then all was well... Amazing where one's personal demons can hide at times... Nevertheless, things are going well in that area... it's happening less often, and the reactionary instances and triggers are happening less frequently (well, even more so of late)... So I do thank you for the advice... I'll definitely consider opening up to her more about it all...

And while I'm here, an update...

A few weeks ago we attempted going through the process of setting up another egg harvesting... so DW had been injecting herself with some FSH, but it seemed the hormone levels were not high enough to prompt continuing stimulation... So we ended up having to stop it and let everything "reset" as it were... Now DW has been at it again over the last ten or so days now injecting herself with Orgalutran (To me, it sounds like a dietary supplement for orange haired primates), and her recent levels have been much better than last time, so we're on track for our second round of egg collection on Monday...

On a much lighter note, and I say this more in the light of silliness and puns that I am very much forward looking to becoming a father, but my greatest fear is not having to deal with poppy diapers or whether I'm holding the baby correctly... But the fear of my future son or daughter finding out by whatever means several years from now that they were conceived via IVF and as a result that their father was (wait for it... ) quite literally a w[CENSORED]ker...

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... but I've been aching to try that line for several months now)

~ Wally

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wallywest For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (03-09-2014),Bongley  (04-09-2014),Happyma  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha Wally, I like that you're keeping your sense of humour about it all! I also laughed out loud about the Orgalutran LOL

That's fantastic that you can see your triggers for what they are - that's usually half the battle, realising that they are triggers of old memories / trauma and not actually about the present moment.

Hoping you and your Wife have some luck with your IVF journey very soon!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Latest Update

Well, Monday has come and gone, and here is what happened...

We had 19 eggs collected... This is a whopping amount considering last time we had only 15 collected (of which only 10 made it to fertilization)... Out of these 19 collected, 13 of them have been fertilized...

Here's the weird thing though... After I collected DW from surgery and brought her to the fertility clinic for briefing... We got a call from the fertility people who had my sample... It turns out my count was quite good (8 million! I haven't had that type of count in a very long time!) and they asked for me to... *cough* "contribute" yet again! Seems like they were going to try and split the fertilizations as both IVF and ICSI... Is this a common practice? I know a number of these will be frozen after this...

I knew the pressure was on the first time I gave my sample, but to provide another sample shortly thereafter is a bit of a task (Insert sound clip of David Bowie's "Under Pressure" here )... I was worried that they'd probably call me in for a third sample whereby I'd end up walking out of that room like a newly born gazelle...

Anyhow, good news is that on Saturday 6th September, my DW and I have an 11:45 appointment for implantation! Hope this works this time around!

~ Wally

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wallywest For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (03-09-2014),Bongley  (04-09-2014),HillDweller  (03-09-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

That at is fantastic Wally.

What at a great result

fingers crossed for a sticky baby out if this one

(sorry I don't know anything about ICSI or splitting the eggs

it does sound a little odd, but it's not an exact science, it's very much a 'try and see what works' as we don't know why some embryos take and others do not

you sound like a great guy, and I am sure you will be a wonderful father

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news Wally!! Everything crossed for you and your wife!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wally.... yes, splitting eggs for IVF and ICSI is a normal practice when 1) you get lots of eggs and 2) have good, motile sperm. The idea is that with IVF, then the best swmmers will get to the egg in the petri dish and result in the strongest embies, but it's backed up with ICSI where you're guaranteed that each egg will get a sperm!! It's the best of both worlds. With us, we never had number of either eggs or sperm, but I'd read that many times. Did they end up tell you what the split was (how many of the 19 went to IVF and to ICSI), and what the fert rate for each split was? That would be interesting to know.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MGC Bertie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (04-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wallywest View Post
    Well, Monday has come and gone, and here is what happened...

We had 19 eggs collected... This is a whopping amount considering last time we had only 15 collected (of which only 10 made it to fertilization)... Out of these 19 collected, 13 of them have been fertilized...

Here's the weird thing though... After I collected DW from surgery and brought her to the fertility clinic for briefing... We got a call from the fertility people who had my sample... It turns out my count was quite good (8 million! I haven't had that type of count in a very long time!) and they asked for me to... *cough* "contribute" yet again! Seems like they were going to try and split the fertilizations as both IVF and ICSI... Is this a common practice? I know a number of these will be frozen after this...

I knew the pressure was on the first time I gave my sample, but to provide another sample shortly thereafter is a bit of a task (Insert sound clip of David Bowie's "Under Pressure" here )... I was worried that they'd probably call me in for a third sample whereby I'd end up walking out of that room like a newly born gazelle...

Anyhow, good news is that on Saturday 6th September, my DW and I have an 11:45 appointment for implantation! Hope this works this time around!

~ Wally

good luck wally, that sounds like a great haul! for you and your DW

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll let you know on Monday once the implantation process is already two days in... Implanting takes place at 11:45 on Saturday... so I'll ask then...

~ Wally

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wallywest For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wally.... they should be able to tell you all the stats at the transfer tomorrow (Sat), as you'll want to know which ones turned out the best (the IVF ones or the ICSI ones) and which ones they are transferring. If they don't offer this information, then you should ask, as I find that at the transfer they usually just want to get it done with, whereas I find it important that I know a little about how the embie they are transferring is looking like.

Lucky you for a decent time for transfer (11.45am). Mine this morning was 7.30am, which meant I had to leave at 6am - not the way I would chose to start a day off work, but if it gets me my BFP then I'll be more than happy!