+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Giving to a charity for a gift

My sister has suffered from cancer over the last few years and since remission she has really got into supporting charities and living a non materialistic life. Her birthday is coming up and I know that she would much prefer us to donate to a cause then to send her material gift or a gift for herself. I have heard so much stuff about charities not using all the money for the cause and a lot of it being used for administration fees. Because of this I have no idea who i should donate to. She obviously has a soft spot for cancer research/patients and she works in aboriginal care so a charity along those lines would be good I think. Is there any charities that will give you a small token or certificate for donations over a certain amount so that i could forward the token or certificate to her for her birthday present?

Any help would be wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can donate your time instead of money. Look for a volunteers service, find something suitable and do that instead. Doesn't need to be on going, can be just a few hours. Every bit helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you check with one of the charities that she supports?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many of the charities should be able to provide you with a certificate or similar to give to her. I have my family donate to the RSPCA on my behalf instead of Xmas presents each year and I know they email or post them a letter to give to me to show they have donated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oxfam - https://unwrapped.oxfam.org.au/choose-a-gift

Karma currency is another one... but the site seems to be down at the moment. You can donate to a charity of your choice and get a print out of your donation in the form of a card to give to whoever you want.... www.karmacurrency.com.au
    Last edited by debsch; 18-02-2014 at 12:35.