+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mediation

I’m just wondering if anyone can give me some advice regarding mediation?
    I have just organized mediation for my Ex and I. My initial intake ‘interview’ is March 10th and I’m not sure what I need to say/ how to prepare. The waiting list for the initial interview was four weeks, so I don’t want to mess it up, and make sure I have everything covered.

After my initial interview, how long will it take the mediators to contact my ex?
    What if he doesn’t respond?
    If he agrees to mediation how long does the whole process take?
    Any advice or tips I need to know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did my mediation over 5 years ago now so it's a bit fuzzy. But they asked lots if questions about our relationship how long we were together, chances of reconciliation etc. more of info gathering.

I would still jot down your desired outcome for doing mediation and if he doesn't comply then they will do up a certificate which says he refused and then it can proceed to family court (this may have changed but that's what I had to do many moons ago)

Good luck, and maybe take notes as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I attended mediation late last year and my first session was just a lot of information gathering. It was pretty informal, they just wanted to know what I wanted out of it and basically, why I was there. I had my session with exDP also; we just wrote down what we needed to discuss in dot points, and then elaborated on that. We are fairly civil so didn't require much intervention from the mediator, but if we swayed from the topic at hand she was there to guide us back to discussing a resolution.

I wouldn't worry too much, you will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Ex and I aren't terribly civil. When we were together, it was basically his way or no way. Since I've left him, I've learnt to stand up to him and not let him push me into agreeing with whatever he says. So I can't see us coming to an agreement.
    He hasn't seen DD for almost a year, but wants to start seeing her again as if no time has passed. He also only wants to see her every now and again. I've told him he has to start with short, supervised, regular visits. Now, because I won't agree to his demands, he is telling me (and others) that I'm keeping DD from him and that I'm basically a bad person and parent.
    Also we are doing mediation over the phone because he moved over 1000km away after he decided he wanted nothing to do with DD.