+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default HELP with NT scan & bloods combined result!

Hi everyone! I had my 12 wk scan last week, all was good very relieved! Im wondering if anyone knows anything about the blood results ie papp-a & hcg levels? I am 32 & came back low risk for both but im worried about my bloods.

For t13 & t18 combined result was 1:17000 but for t21 it was 1:2686 which is low risk so im not too worried but my bloods was what brought it down. The result of the scan alone was 1:8300 but based on the bloods alone it was 1:152. NT measurement was 1.34mm & there was a nasal bone present. Just wondering why the bloods on their own would say 1:152 for t21? Papp-a was 0.59MoM & hcg was 2.10MoM. I cant find much online apart from that they like papp-a & hcg to be closer to 1.

Is my papp-a too low? Is my hcg too high? Is the gap between papp-a & hcg too big? Does anyone know why the blood results would have come back 1:157 for t21? Im not too worried as the combined result is 1:2686 but just wondering if the bloods could be indicative of something else? I also never had any morning sickness so didnt think my hcg would be high lol seeing my ob this week so will speak to her about it too but would love some more info in the meantime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have low papp a and it can mean that your placenta can deteriorate in the 3rd trimester. That would mean an early delivery. I'm 37 weeks with no issues and from what I've read low papp a problems are very rare. I'm not sure what it means with your combined results but I would say chat to your ob or midwife for a clearer understanding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I have low papp a and it can mean that your placenta can deteriorate in the 3rd trimester. That would mean an early delivery. I'm 37 weeks with no issues and from what I've read low papp a problems are very rare. I'm not sure what it means with your combined results but I would say chat to your ob or midwife for a clearer understanding.
    Thanks moosey. What was ur papp-a level do u know? From what ive read it seems papp-a under .40 MoM is considered low and mine is over that so not sure what it means! I think maybe it might have more to do with my hcg being higher?? Cant find much info on it tho.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My papp-a was .3 something, hcg just over 1, and my T21 risk came back as 1:195 despite everything being fine with the scan. I'm actually surprised at how common I've found this to be since finding out myself!

In your case, having a slightly low papp-a result wouldn't skew it too much, it's more likely the combination of the larger than average ratio between the papp-a and hcg, and the fact your hcg is twice what it "should" be.

If you're concerned about your risk factor, have a look into the Verifi and Harmony blood tests available which check for chromosomal abnormalities. You also have the option of cvs or amnio around certain weeks, so definitely chat to your health care provider to see what's best for you.

For me, having a low papp-a has been put down to this being an IVF pregnancy, and so I'm just booked in for extra scans to make sure the placenta is healthy and bub is growing well. I've got a growth scan next week and if the baby's growth rate is under what it should be, my Ob will be getting her out via c-section as soon as I hit 37 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had the same with ds2. The scan was all good but my bloods came back as low papp-a so I had a high risk of bub having of one 3 trisomys. I had the cvs and bub got the all clear. I was monitored throughout pregnancy for the low Papp-a, had scans every month after the 19 week scan. All was fine, no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies but my Papp-a with DS was .5 mom and beta hcg was 2. something high. My background risk stayed the same for my age (ie 1:700). I was 28. With DD my Papp-a was 0.3 mom and beta hcg was 2.168. My risk was 1:45 despite my scan being good. So my Papp-a was higher first time round, but so was my beta hcg - the only difference was my age (I was 30 with DD).

I'd say a 28 yo with your numbers would have got a much lower risk. It's surprising how much a couple of years makes a difference.

I got a CVS with DD and all was clear. She's now a very healthy (and massive) 4.5 month old.

I know so many people who got 'abnormal' bloods and had very healthy babies.

i had 'bad' bloods in both my otherwise healthy pregnancies. So my levels are obviously normal for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had low papp-a also and baby measured small at 20 weeks. My risk was but 1:800 for DS even though I am only 25. Think my low papa increased the risk as scan was good. I just need to go for growth scans. I am only 21 weeks now. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the replies! As Arlais said, I think it might be more to do with the large ratio between my higher hcg & slightly lower papp-a. As .59 papp-a doesnt seem to be too low, from what I can see anything under .4 is considered too low?

Does anyone know what causes high hcg and if it can be an indicator of any problems? I know low papp-a can be related to growth/placenta problems but cant find much info on higher hcg.

My combined result was 1:2686 so well into the low risk range. Would any of u consider further testing with those results? Slightly off bloods but combined result 1:2686? Would u consider cvs, amnio or harmony test with the above result?

Not sure if im looking into it too much or if I should just focus on the overall combined low risk result!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help you with the hcg issue hummingbird, but if I had a result of 1:2686 for a risk factor I personally wouldn't worry about further testing - there's less than 0.04% chance that your baby has T21.

If however you want a bit more peace of mind, then I'd suggest asking for the Harmony test as it poses absolutely no threat of miscarriage. If they find anything they suggest the other tests to confirm anyway, but it's a good first step if your risk factor isn't massive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I wouldn't do any further testing. CVS and amino both increase your risk of miscarriage (CVS 1:100 and amino 1:200). I think your healthcare provider would strongly recommend you didn't undergo further testing because the risk of miscarriage far outweighs the risk of chromosomal disorders.

As for the blood test, it wouldn't do any harm but personally I think it would be a waste of money.

Your risk factors are very, very low. I'd forget about your hcg and pappp a levels and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!