+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check when your census date is before you make a choice to switch to part time. I'm in my 3rd and final year of nursing now and my son isn't quite 3 yet. When I started I was so overwhelmed but I stuck to it and it really paid off. It's daunting but manageable once you get into the swing of things.

Best of luck!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishh For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (18-02-2014),RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Some great advice. I've sent my unit coordinator an email and hopefully she can tell me whether or not the offer my course part time and if not what I should do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I so know what you mean. Qut should let you go part time. If not griffith does. I second even just starting with 1 subject at a time (or 2) to get back into it. Nothing wrong with part time. Full time is more than full time, it takes over every aspect of your life.
    Good luck, it is a big adjustment and you can do it if you really want it 😊

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Write a list of when all assessments are due. Then write a list based on word count and grade weighting. Prioritise work from there. Low grade weighting = less time spent doing and less effort, high grade weighting + high word count = high priority and most effort.

Then work your way through the list. Backward plan your semester on a big calendar too, put in all lectures, tutorials and placements.

As you tick work off it will becomes less overwhelming. Don't spend time on things that don't count.

Whatever you decide you can do it

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

3cheekyboys  (24-02-2014),RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have made the same enquiry recently - you can do the graduate entry part time, despite this not being specified on their website - I think this would be a great way to ease into it.
    I have decided not to pursue this career path just now, otherwise we could have done it together

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    qut
    I did the B Nursing (grad entry too) at QUT.
    The first semester I remember is by far the hardest. After that you're caught up to speed with everyone else and it gets much more cruisy. But be easy on yourself that first semester, cut down on outside activities, stick the kids in daycare extra days if you can to get your head around things.
    It's also getting the hang of the nursing lingo as well and getting your head around the way nurses need to think, or, the way universities want nurses to think. Once you've had a while to get used to all that and get your head around it a bit it becomes a lot easier.

Good luck, and please PM me if you need any help.
    Last edited by TheMadHatter; 23-02-2014 at 15:14.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with everyone here. I started off my degree with alot of failures, and disapointments because I was completely overwhelmed. Wasn't used to studying even though at the time it had only been 4 years since I finished highschool.

Uni is just a different ball game to everything else, but it is wise to do what you think you can manage, be optimistic though. It can help you to pull through.
    Part time can seem like it's going to make the degree take longer, but once you get into the swing of things you can up the subjects to 3 or even go full time down the track. You'll have more experience then, and it won't seem like a big change. Hope you can find solutions to every problem, like the house and kids. Maybe a secret stash of chocolates to keep...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marianaluky For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (18-02-2014),Tippytoes  (18-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to respond and offer some reassurance and advice. It's much appreciated. I'm feeling much better today. I have spoken with nursing administration who have said Iam able to study part time even though it's grad entry. I have made an appointment with the course coordinator tomorrow to discuss degree structure. I have also made an appointment with the Uni counselling service for next week to work out some ways to cope with studying again.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

mishh  (18-02-2014),PomPoms  (18-02-2014),summastarlet  (19-02-2014),Tippytoes  (18-02-2014)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you're making steps to get into studying, even for those going to uni without kids it's super stressful so I can imagine how hectic it would have felt for you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (18-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm doing a grad degree as well, a 4 yr down to 2 FT. The workload is insane. But I have kids at school. I also graduated from my last degree in 2000, so it's been a long time for me too.

My advice? don't give up yet. The first 2 months were hell trying to get my head around a new trade. Our lecturers told us they expect much more from us given it's grad. Hang in there, and try to finish the semester at least, then reassess. I told my DH about 10 times I was quitting. Yet here I am, enrolled in another semester.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (18-02-2014)