+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default crashed and burnt and its only o week

I am feeling totally overwhelmed at the moment. I am attempting to go back to uni and study for the first time in 15 years and have enrolled in nursing grad entry however I feel like i have totally bitten off more than I can chew being a mum to small chidden (3 and 4 yrs) and attempting to study full time. i feel like maybe i should've waited another few years until they had started primary school..... but I just wanted to get out and do something other than be a SAHM because i've reached my limit. I can't stay home anymore.

I'm also regretting going grad entry because even though it knocks a year off the degree and i have a previous degree, it was so long ago and everything has changed. They barely had the internet when I went to uni last time now everything is online.....
    I am meant to be at orientation at uni today, meeting new friends etc and yet I've come home because I'm having a panic attack and feeling totally overwhelmed....

sigh thanks for listening
    Last edited by RipperRita; 17-02-2014 at 13:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhh it's a big move! But I'm sure there's others there who feel exactly the same, it's very common to feel overwhelmed at first! There's a lot to take in. Don't worry about today, just pick yourself up and go back tomorrow. Talk to others in your orientation and try to just tackle one thing at a time. O-week is full-on, I'm sure you're not alone in how you feel. Give it up until the census date and if you're really struggling then cut down on subjects and switch to part-time for now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Big hugs xx it can totally be overwhelming starting at uni whether you are going straight from school or haven't studied for awhile.

Could you perhaps try part time instead? Or rethink doing the grad entry and doing some prep courses to help you get into the uni mindset again?

Keep in mind census date so that if you do want to drop courses you can do so without being penalised financially or academically.

Make contact with your student support person/student counsellor. Utilise any other supports the uni offers to students (ie academic writing support, tutoring etc). These people are all employed to assist students and help them through their learning journey.

Good luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know the feeling. I'm changing unis (same degree) but also changing from external to internal study. I am TOTALLY overwhelmed with all the new processes, new websites, new EVERYTHING, stricter deadlines, and organising to actually GO to orientation on Wednesday and find all these different buildings and rooms and parking stations and all these things I didn't have to deal with online. Nothing's going smoothly and I think I've rang the poor uni about 10 times in the last week to ask for help! Sooooo overwhlemed!! But I'm sure once I get used to it I will be ok, as I'm sure you will! Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest to try it part time for this semester/year? If you're handling it ok then up it to full time next semester/year. Is that an option?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foggy For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest going to part time too. What uni are you studying at?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you have just summed up my feelings for today!!!

I'm sitting here thinking what have I got myself in for? My daughter is driving me nuts today too, how on earth will I cope? Bitten off more than I can chew I think!! I'm also going back as a grad student at a new uni and it's totally overwhelming, all these forums and portals! It's information overload. Totally freaking out too! You aren't alone!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyrain View Post
    i was going to suggest going to part time too. What uni are you studying at?
    qut

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering if anyone else here is studying from the same uni and could help I'm at CDU so can't, sorry!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know how you feel RR. I am totally taking it slow, in that - if this takes me 10 years to complete then so be it. I just could't cope with anymore than one subject at a time at the moment, and I only just scraped through my last one.

But I am the same as you, I need to do something...anything. A 24 hour SAHM is just doing my head in.

Maybe you could rejig your hours? Do a part/part time thing?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (17-02-2014)