+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DS broke the monitor! Buy a new one, or go without?

DS is 2 this coming Saturday, and today he got to the baby monitor and buggered it up! DH is a Mr Fix it, and he couldn't even fix it.

So tonight will be the very first night i sleep without a monitor going.... I wasn't quite ready to take this step, but it seems he has decided now is the time!?

He is in a big boys bed now.... been in there for a few weeks. Most of the time he comes into our room to see me if he needs me, but he had croupy coughing fits in the middle of the night last night, and he didnt come to me... i ran in to him...

I just worry I wont hear him coughing.... but if he gets bad enough, he'll come to me wont he? What would you do? Buy a new monitor or go without now since DS is 2 now and in a big bed. ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was me, id be up all night checking on my son. For my own piece of mind, I would buy a new one.

I dont think you sound ready to give it up just yet

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably wouldn't buy a new one.

How far away from your room is his room? Can you both sleep with your doors open so you can hear him easier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt, depending on how far away your bedrooms are. I never liked my monitor, i found i slept heaps better without one. M kids rooms are close by though.
    As for the whole 'not hearing them'. Trust me, you WILL. As mothers we are programmed to hear our kids. Ever wondered why you can hear your child above any other child in the room?? Dads, yes they may not hear bub but mums...no way. Its one of those amazing abilities we get during labour...like the ability to hold a conversation while nursing, doing the dishes and hearing the toddler in the other room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 3 and I still use his monitor heaps. It has a talk function so that I can ask him what's wrong if he wakes up. Sometimes I can deal with it without getting up, so I wouldn't be without ours yet.

But DS doesn't like to get up and come to our room which is the other end of the house. If you know your DS will just get up if he needs something then I guess you would be fine without it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never been in a big monitor person, so I probably wouldn't, but it does depend on how far away his room is etc. I agree with pp that you don't sound ready to give it up, so maybe invest in a new one if it's going to give you peace of mind and a good night's sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we got through the first night! So im thinking ill hold off from getting one now ... our house isn't too big so yeah he has no issues with coming into our room whenever he needs to. He came in at about 3am, just to see me it seemed... he didn't seem to need anything. I took him back to his bed, tucked him in and he went back to sleep.... so im thinking ill hold off getting one for the moment and see how it goes. Our house isn't very sound proof so i guess i very well should be able to hear him. I left his door open and ours open, so ill just do that each night.