+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Low Carb, High Fat

Hi

Just wondering if anyone around eats low carb, high fat.

I have read a lot about it, but I am so worried (even though I have read otherwise) that I will put on weight rather than lose weight. We as a family have been cutting out most of the added sugar and use Natvia etc in coffee. I have been using Rice Malt Syrup instead of honey, that sort of thing.

I am doing weight watchers at the moment but have been reading so much about LCHF. I have also read Sweet Poison and find the evidence presented here rather compelling.

Any thoughts, tips or suggestions would be welcome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look at the paleo diet. It works, well it did for me anyway.

It's basically a hunter gatherer diet, no processed foods at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lost my baby weight by eating low carb. It was very effective for me.

i suggest you write down what you eat for one day and work out how many grams of carbs you are eating. There are lots of carbs in things that I had no idea about.

i lost weight by eating as follows

2 eggs scrambled with bacon
    omelette with ham and cheese
    meat and vegies

snacks were low carb chocolate, boiled egg, cold meat, cheese, diet soft drink.

when I hit a plateau with weight loss I cut down on the milk I was having in tea and coffee and I began losing weight again. Dairy has lots of carbs.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (30-06-2014),PomPoms  (16-02-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did a ketosystem diet or something along those lines and the fat melted off me. I lost 27kgs and didn't exercise. I unfortunately found a lot of those kilos again, but it does work at dropping kgs.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (06-05-2014),PomPoms  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I lost my baby weight by eating low carb. It was very effective for me.

i suggest you write down what you eat for one day and work out how many grams of carbs you are eating. There are lots of carbs in things that I had no idea about.

i lost weight by eating as follows

2 eggs scrambled with bacon
    omelette with ham and cheese
    meat and vegies

snacks were low carb chocolate, boiled egg, cold meat, cheese, diet soft drink.

when I hit a plateau with weight loss I cut down on the milk I was having in tea and coffee and I began losing weight again. Dairy has lots of carbs.
    I think my issue is my muesli for breakfast as I don't like eggs

My snack in the afternoon is fruit (which I could be eating more than I should). or two corn thins which I guess could be an issue. Greek yoghurt as well.

Lunch is cold meat (ham) or baked beans (if we have run out) and salad.

Dinner is usually protein (chicken, beef) and either roast veggies or salad.

I don't drink soft drink at all, just water. I do have 3 coffees with Natvia instead of sugar.

That said, as we don't have scales so I don't know if weight watchers is working yet and I am only going into the third week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to follow a low carb eating plan for weight loss you can't eat museli or fruit so if you are not willing to give those up then don't bother, try something else

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at your museli packet, how many grams of carbs per 100grams of museli?

I'm guessing probably about 40g of carbs. When you add milk, that's another 5g of carbs. To lose weight you need to eat about 20g of carbs per day in total.

If you are eating yoghurt, fruit and corn thins then you are probably eating over 100g of carbs per day, if you can cut that down to 20g per day, then you will lose weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, this worked for me. I cut out processed foods and now I try to eat whole ingredients and cook from scratch. I try to avoid processed white carbs the most- biscuits, etc. If you cut out processed foods, a lot of the bad carbs will automatically disappear from your diet. I always choose full fat natural yoghurt, for example, as low fat foods can sometimes contain high sugar and chemicals. I do indulge in a diet coke each day. For brekky, I have yoghurt, LSA and a teeny bit of fruit, or mini tomatos and capsicum instead of cereal. With meat I sometimes make a cream sauce from scratch, so yes, high in fat, but I don't eat pasta/bread. Lots of veg soups/ curries/ made at home yum. All the best x

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (30-06-2014),lilypily  (18-02-2014),PomPoms  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    If you want to follow a low carb eating plan for weight loss you can't eat museli or fruit so if you are not willing to give those up then don't bother, try something else
    I don't know what I want to do long term, at the moment I am following weight watchers which is basically low fat, but I don't like the higher sugar in low fat yoghurt for example. But, my DP wants to try lchf and I don't think it is going to work well with us both doing different things because I don't want to have two different meal plans etc to shop for.

So I don't know I guess and I also need to feed two primary school children and a young adult with an eating disorder. So I want something that I can do quietly and will fit with our family.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (17-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could work well for your family as you can cook your meat/veg/salad and add the rice/pasta/ bread aspects for you kids. I have also cut out a lot of the processed foods for the kids (especially sugared cereals) and they now eat eggs/chicken/tuna/beans/salad for brekky- processed gluten was causing some behavioural probs for DS1- he's so much better off now on whole healthy foods made from scratch. Of course, there are treats at parties and things, but for day to day eating at home, it has worked well all round for our family. All the best, it can be tricky when you have different ages/ preferences in a household.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (17-02-2014)