+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone's bubba have bad mossie reactions? Advice needed.

DS ( 10m) get a very bad reaction to mossie bites. I talking huge, raised , hard , hot , lumps covered in watery blisters that start coming up within about 2 hours of being bitten. Anyway - he has a bad one ATM so I took him to the Dr and he said we can get a blood test for allergies if we want.
    I have concerns as the reactions are getting worse as he gets older ( not better as I expected them to). Does anyone know if anaphlactic reactions can develop later or if he is going to have that would it have happened already?
    This is my main concern so I am not sure if it is worth getting the blood test or not. My other concern is if he got bitten around his eye.
    Has anyone else had this issue - how long did it take for such bad reaction to not occur? They don't seem to bother him too much but he is the happiest baby in universe and nothing seems to bother him much at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 is nearly 6 and he gets lumps the size of golf balls from mosquito bite. They have always swelled but as he gets older they have gotten bigger. They look as you have described. I'm not sure about anaphylaxis as it has never even crossed my mind as I just have been told that what he gets is a severe reaction... I was kind of just thinking that's as severe as they would get :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Anaphylaxis or any allergy can develop any time. People can have no problems with something one day and then the next, severe allergies.

My DS1 had the same as what you are describing, it got worse for a while - about 3 years - to the point where it changed the shape of his ear when he got bitten on there permanently because the swelling was so severe. His limbs would swell to twice the size, it would become fluid filled about the size of a 20 cent piece. But eventually it did start to get less and less. He is still slightly allergic, but nothing like the old days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was the same but has improved with age. I used antihistamine, ice packs on the bites and Stop Itch. She was so bad once her whole leg was swollen tight and became infected and she needed antibiotics. I don't think this type of reaction is unusual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 is nearly 6 and he gets lumps the size of golf balls from mosquito bite. They have always swelled but as he gets older they have gotten bigger. They look as you have described. I'm not sure about anaphylaxis as it has never even crossed my mind as I just have been told that what he gets is a severe reaction... I was kind of just thinking that's as severe as they would get :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 13 months and has recently had this reaction to midgie bites. They go from huge red lumps to big blisters which take ages to heal. Pharmacist recommended antihistamine. Now if I see new bites I give him some medicine before they swell and blister. This is how I first reacted to the bites when we
    First moved to the Gold Coast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH gets the same reactions. He has scars all over his legs from mozzie bites but it's never an anaphylactic reaction.
    Not sure if it's of interest but Pigeon do a range of anti- mosquito wipes for kids, could be handy just to give your LO a wipe down to protect him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of our boys reacts to some mozzie bites, but not all mozzie bites. I don't know why some swell big time and others don't. He has had one above the eye and woke up the next day not able to open it. Also one on his ear and it swelled right out and split the skin. I gave him antihistamine but it didn't help. If on his limbs they can swell to being quite large also. We try our hardest to avoid bites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is the same. Her bite marks get all red and so hot and swollen. One was so bad it covered half her face and was cracked and weeping. I took to to emergency like 13health told me to and the drs said she has a severe reaction to the saliva of mozzies. i now use stingose and phenergan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 6 yr old dd reacts sometimes too. Had one on her hand recently and her whole hand puffed up and was weeping. I give her clarintyne (sp?) and spray it with tea tree oil & eucalyptus spray