+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Men have biological clocks too.

Just thought I'd post some interesting articles I've come across this morning regarding male age-related fertility, which is so often ignored in the media as our culture tends to focus on female fertility.

What sparked my interest was watching one of those morning shows (that I never normally watch) and seeing a segment about the new bachelor series that advertised for:

females aged 23 - 35 and
    males aged 27 - 38

and I wondered why the older age range for males, because if its fertility-related, I know that both female and male fertility declines with age. Why not just advertise for males and females between 25-35 for the best possible fertility outcome. I think it sends the wrong message, having a younger age range for women.

By the way, I'm not assuming the different age range is attributed to fertility - who knows why the different age range? I don't know but it stood out immediately to me as being odd. I thought about fertility, which spurred me to have a look for info on google.

Since it is still something the media and even many in the healthcare profession continue to ignore, instead focusing on female-centred fertility techniques, I thought I'd share a couple of the various and interesting articles/studies I saw.

http://infertility.about.com/od/caus...agefertile.htm

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...0673/#comments
    Last edited by Ellewood; 16-02-2014 at 10:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another very interesting article:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_the-male...g-t_1490614.bc

"In a study published in the journal Fertility and Sterility, researchers interviewed nearly 2,000 women to find out how long it took them to conceive. Among women 35 and older, those whose male partners were 45 and older took five times longer to conceive than those whose partners were 25 and younger.
    The researchers also looked at what happens when young women (age 25 and under) have children with men 45 and older. The researchers found a fourfold increase in the time it took couples to conceive – meaning the man's age was a factor independent of the woman's age."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well seeing as my mothers uncle has had a few more kids in his 70's I don't really think male fertility really declines.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you read the articles? While its possible for men to conceive a baby until later in life than women, the quality of sperm deteriorates after the age of 35-40, and there is a much higher risk of genetic abnormalities and things like autism.

Your mothers uncle is in a vast minority, but that doesn't equate to a general assumption that male fertility doesn't decline. Fertility is not simply a matter of making babies, it's the likelihood of making healthy babies. Men over 40 are not allowed to be sperm donors for the reasons above.

Anyway, I just posted the articles because I found them interesting, and didn't know a lot of this information even though ice been through IVF myself! I know quite a bit regarding female fertility, but we don't hear much about male fertility.