+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdgirl View Post
    What's the correct word for bum?
    I'll teach my kids all the names when they are older. I don't see a problem with calling it pee pee, wee wee or balls. It's not like I've never said the medical name to them before.
    We say butt, bum, backside, tummy etc.
    when they have stomach ache I've never thought to teach them to say their intestines hurt :/
    I don't get hung up on stuff like this
    As @shelle65 said I think the issue is more with euphemisms that people may misunderstand.

For example not everyone would realise that the terms 'foo foo', 'foofy', 'blossom', 'mooey' etc are nick names for a vagina or vulva, and if a child was telling a carer that their grandmother touched foofy they may think the child is referring to something else eg. a pet or doll named foofy.

Whereas butt, bum and tummy are common nick names and most people would understand what body part they're referring to.
    Last edited by sky1; 16-02-2014 at 20:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I didn't understand I'd ask what they meant. If foofy was a cat or doll I'd like to think a child could say that if asked.
    So if foofy was a vagina, they'd point to it.
    If I've ever asked one of my nieces or nephews what hurts they show me or point to it.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I also read that if you only teach the anatomical names then it can give you a heads up eg if your kid spends the day with Uncle Jim and then comes back talking about his tossle or whatever then you can investigate a little. Also abusers tend to use 'cutesie' names to lower the barriers. Can't remember where the article is, but I can hunt it down if anyone is interested...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

sky1  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dansci0 View Post
    Holy crap by her grandmother??? That's the first time I've heard that... Horrible horrible thing to happen to anyone.

My dd is 1 and so far we havnt had to really talk about her bits but she also is learning a second language. so far she knows most body parts/clothing in that language more so than English. Eg if I say to her where's your shoes? She has no idea but if I say it in different language she will point and look down at her shoes. If I have said anything about her vagina I say it in our language like in the bath 'stand up mummy needs to wash your etc etc' i guess once she's older I'll most probably say vagina although not too sure how much detail ill need to mention ie vulva/labia. Probably leave that up to the sex Ed chat.
    Yes this!!! I remember reading a story ages ago about a little girl that was sexually molested, but they ended up not being able to charge the male because the little girl had pet names for her private parts & they couldn't actually determine what he had done.. Just terrible

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpkinears For This Useful Post:

sky1  (16-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Proper names

Thanks
    Reviews
    We say penis or prickle. DS is 2 and know that they are the same thing. He mostly refers to it as his penis. DD only ever says vagina for her bits. DD wears knicks and DS wears jocks/jockies.